This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Most Handsome Male Dancer(s)

Guest MidnightAlias
:DIvan Putrov of Royal Ballet, Guillume Cote of the National Ballet of Canada(apologize if I spelled that wrong) and Friedemann Vogel of Stuttgart, all Gorgeous!
If you saw Herman Cornejo in Le spectre de la Rose at the Kennedy Center last week you would surely agree with me.  Wow.

corrival,

I saw him a couple of times last Fall in City Center and agree he looked great.

It sounds a bit shallow but I think a lot of it was because his head wasn't over encumbered by some kind of cap covered with fake flowers .

I'm old enough that I remember that ladies at the beach used to wear rubber swimming caps, covered in rubber flowers and a lot of Spectres look to me like they are wearing the same kind of thing.

Richard

It sounds a bit shallow but I think a lot of it was because his head wasn't over encumbered by some kind of cap covered with fake flowers.

I'm old enough that I remember that ladies at the beach used to wear rubber swimming caps, covered in rubber flowers and a lot of Spectres look to me like they are wearing the same kind of thing.

Interesting observation, Richard. The cap does enhance the period flavor of the piece, but I think modern eyes have a lot of trouble seeing it that way, and yes, modifying it or chucking it completely enhances today's productions.

Boy, you must be OLLLLLD! Actually, I was one of those who was forced to wear those ridiculous, headache-inducing contraptions in pools until the early '70s, when adult men started wearing their hair long enough to erase the sex-related blame for drain clogs.

I've just skimmed through the posts here, after watching the Royal Ballet Sleeping Beauty (Durante). No one but Rachel mentioned Zoltan Solylmosi. This was one stunning prince (like a 50s Yale 4-letterman) who was really overwhelmed at having stumbled across this really great princess. Gosh! And Durante really comes to life after meeting him.

Googling, I learned that he has a brother, Tamas, who has danced or will dance with ABT. I also found a claim, in a British site, that Zoltan was "both liked and revilved at times."

Having seen him only in this video and in a Manon pas de deux with Sylvie Guillem, I'm puzzled. What could there possibly be to revile about the work of this handsome, earnest dancer, wonderfully proportioned, who moves so beautifully and clearly loves his partners?

British posters, and others, please help.

bart, Solymosi really did divide opinion in RB audiences - some thought he was the most exciting thing since Nureyev, others couldn't stand him at any price. He could appear self-absorbed on stage and had the reputation of being, er, temperamental. I think some of his problem was that he wanted to hang on to his own identity rather than become a 'Royal Ballet' dancer so he often looked very different from anyone else on stage and his acting could look mannered and, in RB terms, old-fashioned. But he did have good roles, sometimes surprising ones like the Mukhamedov role in MacMillan's The Judas Tree.

my picks (past and present)

Nikolaj Hubbe

Roy Kaiser

Angel Corella

Craig Hall

I've never seen Roy Kaiser but I'm with you on Hubbe, Corella and Hall - especially Hall. I never really noticed him in the corps at NYCB but I just saw him with the Milliped group and was immediately struck by his elegant line & the intense, weighty quality of his dancing. My first thought was that I'd love to see him cast in Melancholic. Another dancer I've never seen much of at NYCB is Sebastien Marcovici. But I just saw him on the street (at least I think it was him) and boy, was he handsome.

Going way back - Michel Denard & Ivan Nagy were my favorites. Currently - David Hallberg, Marcello Gomes, Thiago Soares, Massimo Murru, Igor Zelensky.

And yes, Marga - Jared Matthews is one to watch in the corps at ABT - along with Grant Delong

Can't forget Baryshnikov & those soulfull blue eyes...

This post makes 51 votes for Manuel Legris! :wink: I wish I had seen him dance live...I've only seen him in video. Also, I can't help but mention Christopher Gable (MacMillan's "Romeo"). Boy, did I have a huge "crush" on him when I was a teenager...

Zoltan Solymosi was also a wonderful Onegin.

&, mercy me, GAWJUSS!!!

Whatever happened to Zoltan Solymosi? Very little info on him about where he is dancing or if he is still dancing. A lot on his brother though. I remember seeing Zoltan with Durante for the Sleeping Beauty. He is an impossibly gorgeous man.

One more to add to the list: Rock star handsome Will Kemp

Kronstam, Bruhn, and Martins. Is there something in the water over there?

I would have mentioned Christopher Gable, but Gina got there first. I never saw him on stage, but in photos and on film he has this boyish grin that makes me melt down like the Wicked Witch of the West. It's probably just as well, because had I been present for one of his Romeos I probably would have caused a scene by climbing onstage and tossing Seymour into the orchestra pit.

Among ABT's current Don Q Toreadores, I found Alexandre Hammoudi's exotic beauty mesmerizing -- especially set off, as it was, by that head of dark waves.

I'm guessing that Alexandre Hammoudi is of North African descent, and that his surname is Arabic.

In Hebrew, Hammoudi means "cutie"!! It probably has the same meaning in Arabic.