This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

was there a 3rd act in the original Coppelia?

silvy

No, there was a third act. It was considered too long, too much dancing. The ballet was only in repertory for a few performances before the Franco-Prussian War broke out. When the ballet was revived after the war (when many of the people connected to the original production, including the young ballerina and the choreographer) had died, the third act was cut.

Thanks so much.

I understand that the very first production had choreography by Saint Leon, is this correct?

And who was responsible for the revival without the 3rd act?

Sorry for so many questions!!!!!

Silvy

The ballet was only in repertory for a few performances before the Franco-Prussian War broke out. When the ballet was revived after the war (when many of the people connected to the original production, including the young ballerina and the choreographer) had died, the third act was cut.

Aha! That explains Balanchine's "War and Discord" section -- an acknowledgment of the loss of Bozacchi (sp?), St. Leon and their colleagues.

It adds a sense of poignancy to the dance, doesn't it? Makes the whole production a kind of tribute. Balanchine now seems to be saying, "I'm making a new third act, but I will remember the tragedy of war."