This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I would like to know if there is somewhere a filmed / video or DVD version of the above ballet - especially if danced by the original cast (Fonteyn, Shearer and I think it was Pamela May? if I am not mistaken...)

I have seen photos and it looks very intriguing to me

Thanks a lot

Silvy

SYMPHONIC VARIATIONS is not released on any commercial videos that i know of.

there are films, notably one with sibley and dowell in the leads, but none have been released on the commercial market to the best of my knowldege.

as for the first cast, i.e. the women you mention alongside, m. somes, b.shaw and h.danton, i know of no film anywhere of this cast. (i recently learned that danton thinks there is a film, SOMEWHERE.) there is some rehearsal footage with fonteyn on stage. an exceprt of this latter was shown in one (or more) of the biographical obituary tributes shown on t.v. in the wake of fonteyn's death, but again it's not been put out commercially.

perhaps british videophiles have more accurate and encouraging information.

There was a 'bleeding chunk' of Symphonic Variations, with Miyako Yoshida and Bruce Sansom, in the Royal Opera House Reoopening gala at the end of 1999, which I THINK was briefly available commercially; otherwise nothing else that I know of.

Better news is that the BBC has just announced that they will transmit an Ashton programme from Covent Garden in the autumn - Scenes de Ballet, Daphnis and Chloe, and some shorter pieces including the recently revived extracts from Devil's Holiday. These broadcasts are usually brought out on DVD a bit later.

Better news is that the BBC has just announced that they will transmit an Ashton programme from Covent Garden in the autumn - Scenes de Ballet, Daphnis and Chloe, and some shorter pieces including the recently revived extracts from Devil's Holiday. These broadcasts are usually brought out on DVD a bit later.

Better news indeed -- thanks for the heads-up!