This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Paul Taylor in Los Angeles

Guest Kirsten

Guest Kirsten

Paul Taylor Dance Company Performs in Los Angeles June 26-27

Southern California premiere of "Promethean Fire"

Repertory includes "Mercuric Tidings" and "Runes"

The Paul Taylor Dance Company, celebrating its 50th year, will be the final attraction of the Inaugural Season of Dance at the Music Center. There are two performances, June 26 and 27, at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion of the Music Center. The repertory includes the Southern California premiere of Taylor’s 2002 critically-acclaimed "Promethean Fire," as well the 1982 "Mercuric Tidings" and the 1975 "Runes."

The Paul Taylor Dance Company was nominated for a 2004 Laurence Olivier Award in the category of Best New Dance Production for Paul Taylor's "Promethean Fire," which the Company performed in May 2003 at Sadler's Wells Theatre in London. The program also features two classic Taylor works – "Runes" (1975) to music of Gerald Busby and designed by George Tacet and "Mercuric Tidings" (1982) to music of Schubert and designed by Gene Moore.

Dates: Saturday, June 26, 2004 at 7:30pm

Sunday, June 27, 2004 at 2:00pm

Theatre: Dorothy Chandler Pavilion, 135 N. Grand Ave., Los Angeles

Tickets: Ticketmaster Phone Charge - 213/365-3500 or 714/740-7878 and Ticketmaster Outlets

Online – www.ticketmaster.com, www.musiccenter.org

In person – Dorothy Chandler Pavilion Box Office, 135 N. Grand Ave., Los Angeles

Prices: $15 - $50

Info: Phone – 213/972-0711; www.musiccenter.org

Wow, go figure. I like Promethean, but I don't love it - not because it's bad, but because I think there are other Taylor works that cover similar territory that I like more. But then again, Balanchine's "Diamonds" is like this for me as well. It's not that I don't like it, it's that I like Symphony in C or Theme and Variations better.

I've seen Paul Taylor 3-4 times now, including 7-8 different works of his. They all left me cold (at best) except Promethian Fire. I've seen it 3 times now, and I enjoy it more and more each time. To see it performed in Battery Park, in NY on Sept 11 was really special - it was the perfect way to close the day. And I agree that mixed bills are a great idea. I went to that performance because I wanted to see PF, and I discovered Buglisi/Foreman

In NY, the Taylor company will be performing PF again in City Center's Fall for Dance festival on October 1st .

Alexandra. If my calander weren't full, I would have gone on Sunday to see both the Boston Ballet and the Joffrey- neither of which I have ever seen live. That kind of thing (mixed program) is a real treat --

Previously, at this same event, I caught the Dance Theater of Harlem. Missed them being there this year.