19 replies to this topic

#16 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,242 posts

Posted 27 February 1999 - 06:14 PM

Glad you posted this, Celia -- very imaginative!

I should first hasten to say that, although Fonteyn was my first ballerina and I'm a great admirer, I saw her very seldom and at the end of her career, so I'm not the best person to speculate on what she could have done (she did an awful lot! For a good retrospective of her career, see Keith Money's "Fonteyn: The Making of a Legend.")

She did dance one Balanchine role, and was not considered a success in it -- "Ballet Imperial." Perhaps she was too imperial. I don't think it was lack of legginess as much as the fact that Fonteyn was very classical and very centered, as opposed to neoclassical and uncentered.

I love the idea of pairing Farrell and Nureyev; I used to fantasize about that when it was actually a possibility! She would have been a bit tall for him, but so were Gregory and Evdokimova, and that didn't deter him.

Thanks for your good ideas -- please keep posting!

#17 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,873 posts

Posted 09 March 1999 - 12:07 AM

Re: Farrell and Nureyev. They actually danced Apollo with the Pennsylvania Ballet, and discussed doing Mozartiana and Paul Mejia's Cinderella also. The Cinderella discussions went nowhere according to Farrell's autobiography, but she's too discreet and tactful to say why (one of the disappointing things about the book, incidentally).

#18 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 26 March 1999 - 05:13 PM

I would love to see my favorite Kirov Ballet dancers in Balanchine's JEWELS:

Emeralds - Svetlana Zakharova & Andrian Fadeev
Rubies - Diana Vishneva & Viacheslav Samodurov, with Tatiana Serova as the "tall girl" soloist
Diamonds - Uliana Lopatkina & Igor Zelensky

Maybe, if we're lucky, this will indeed happen next year. Posted Image

#19 Kevin Ng

Kevin Ng

Bronze Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 26 March 1999 - 10:43 PM

Jeannie, the Kirov should have already premiered in St. Petersburg "Jewels" by now. Do you know what the actual cast list was? I'd also love to see your cast list for "Jewels".

#20 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 29 March 1999 - 10:13 AM

Kevin - There was an aborted attempt to stage JEWELS last spring. I believe that cost was the main reason for this. Instead, they brought in Francia Russell to "refresh" some of their existing Balanchine repertoire...yes, even the SERENADE was not new to the St. Petersburg "state ballets" system, as it already existed in the repertoire of the Maly/Moussorgsky.)

JEWELS is not scheduled for this season. The only new ballets this season are the Alexei Ratmansky ballets (premiered last November) and the new/old setting of SLEEPING BEAUTY, which will premiere in New York. On the other hand, there have been at least FIVE--count 'em--FIVE opera premieres (either new commissioned operas or major revivals) during the past 12 months at the Mariinsky. Not fair, I say! - Jeannie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):