This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

The cast last night,6/09, was Ethan Stiefel,Gillian Murphy,David Hallberg,Carmen Corella and Michelle Wiles.

This was my first time being able to see any of them live.WOW

Ethan has always been my favorite dancer from videos and such, but now WOW, he is way up there. I was utterly entranced by the use of his feet. He was gorgeous, I must say, him not being totaly perfect made me feel better, he is actually human. A few wobles here and there, but over all gorgeous!! Murphy, now I know some people LOVE her, and yes she was good, but I didn't find her that enthrawling. Her dancing was good, though I noticed some technique issues. I also didn't feel her energy was up to Ethan's. But she was good.(interesting side note, I went to the ABTALK before and the women running it,forget her name, bassicly said she felt Gillian Murphy had the best technique of the ABT females. What do you think? My personal opinion is NO, while she was good, by far I do not thin she was the best female dance in the company.) David Hallberg, was amazing!! He was gorgeous, he lacked a little flare, but over all amazing. Carmen Corella was nice, a little more flare from her too would have been nice, but still very good. Michelle Wiles...Perfect....Her Italian Fouettes were gorgeous, Perfect... Her dancing was just so pure and clean and very eye catching! Th corps was also very good!! The 2 girls who do solos,forget what they are called, were very good. I felt they were very well chosen, as was the sprite in the dream scene. Gypsies and the Peasent dancers were all very very good. Over all I give this show 4 out of 5 ballet shoes!

I can only assume that Gillian was having an off-night if you say she had technical problems, because I agree with the pre-curtain speaker that she's probably the strongest technician in the company. No weak points whatsoever, and it all flows effortlessly. I do find her disconcertingly remote, however. I wasn't there. Over the past few years I have o-d'd on DQs, so I resolved to resist all temptation (and temptations exist) to attend any this season.

Curious to know, who were the two flower girls?

Well, she didn't seem off her leg, she just had a few bobbles, small bt noticable to me. Bent knee in tourjete and a few floppy feet, nothing major. Though, I must say, I don't think she is the strongest technician in the comapny. I would go with Julie Kent(to me she embodies what a ballerina is) or Amanda Mckerrow(though I find her dry sometimes). While murphy is good, these are ofcourse just my opinions.

The flower girls were: Maria Riccetto and Adrienne Schulte, I thought they were well picked for the parts and did a great job.

I saw the July 12th matinee of "Don Quixote" with Paloma Herrera and Julio Bocca.

Having seen Herrera in the Grand Pas from "Don Q" a few times, I've always wanted to se her dance Kitri in the full length ballet. I saw Bocca's Basil (or Basilio or whatever his name is) twice - in 1991 with Susan Jaffe and in 1999 with Nina A.

Having not seen Bocca in the role for five years, I wondered whether his 2004 "Don Q" performance would be as good as his performance in my mind's eye.

I'm happy to say that Bocca's performance at Saturday's matinee was even better than what I remembered. It's not just his incredible bravura technique - especially those seemingly endless multiple air turns. He also has a real flair for comedy and great chemistry with Herrera. I don't think Herrera and Bocca have danced together for years. I hope Herrera and Bocca are teamed up more in the future because they're really great together.

Seeing Herrera in the full-length "Don Q" was everything I had hoped and more. Herrera is usually not known for her acting, but on Saturday afternoon she gave a nice portrayl of a sweet and spirited Kitri. Her dancing was close to perfect - great leaps with the kick to the back of the head, nice quick fouettes with some doubles (and maybe triples - it's hard for me to tell) thrown in - and incredible, incredible balances. I don't think I've ever seen anyone hold balances for so long.

Carlos Molina was dazzling as the madator Espada. This is a part Molina has really made his own. Monique Meunier was wonderful as the street dancer, but I think she would be even better as Kitri. I think a "Don Q" with Meunier as Kitri and Marcelo Gomes as Basil would be very exciting.

Renata Pavam and Misty Copeland were very good as the flower girls. Both are dancers with real promise. I saw Copeland as one of the friends in "Raymonda" at the June 5th matinee - she seems to having a great season. Speaking of promising dancers, Sarah Lane's Amour stood out for her quicksilver steps and great leaps.

Carmen Corella wa somewhat disappointing as the Queen of the Dryads. I thought she danced her solo rather sluggishly. Herman Cornejo was a super high flying lead Gypsy. But if Cornejo is a principal dancer, why is he still dancing soloist roles. I would really love to see Cornejo dance the lead in "Don Q". I think he and Xiomara Reyes would be very good together. They're dancing "Coppelia" at the June 23rd matinee, aren't they? Maybe if "Coppelia" works out, Cornejo and Reyes will dance together in "Don Q" during the 2005 ABT/Met season. One can always dream, I guess.