This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Russian Imperial Ballet postcards

indeed, the name scribbled in pencil on the back of this card is stukolkin. what happened was that due to the limited space offered for the picture title, preobrajenska being hardly short, the rest of my keyboarding didn't register and i am one of the world's worst proof readers.

IF the scribble is correct i assume the dancer must be this vasilii nikolaevich, because the other two stukolkins are too old to be dancing this youthful role in 1913, the date shown on the card. i've never heard of any stukolkin except the famed timofei alekseivch, who was born in 1829 and who died in 1894, two years after creating drosselmeier. but i can't be sure the handwriting on the card is correct or that i've put my finger on the right stukolkin even if it is right. still, there are no moscow-schooled stukolkins that i can find and the other petersburg one, one feb petrovich, is only 8 years younger than timofei, and he died in 1895, so...

all of this goes to say that i should not only have solicited corrections and suggestions but also should have asked for better proof readers than i am to point out typos and the like.

thanks for catching this, mel.