This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Nina Ananiashvili in Don Quixote

"She's good, but she's getting old". That comment was made by some old dried up raisin seating behind me at the end of the first act of Don Quixote about Nina Ananiashvili Monday night. Apparently I was not the only one shock about that statement because when I turn to look at her the women seating next to me also turn to look at that woman. Well that raisin must have been eating those words at the end of the performance. Because Ms. Ananiashvili as always was at her most joyous and glorious best! In fact the entire company seem to having the time of their lives.

Nina is that rare prima ballerina - a consummate artist technically who haven't forgotten the simple joy it is to dance. And boy does she convey that to her audience. A light is in her that glows whenever to performs. You just can't help but not love her!!

She would be enough for one evening, but as I said the company perform at the top of their game tonight. Jose Manuel Carreno as Basil was as smooth as ever.

The repartee between Carreno and Ananiashvili is wonderful to see - they truly love dancing with one another and brings out in each other the very best.

Maria Riccetto and Erica Cornejo was as light as air as the flower girls. Their dancing as clear, sharp and spirited.

What's up with Herman Cornejo! He seem to be trying his best to jump through the roof as the gypsy. And the fact he can do it with such apparent ease makes it even more amazing to watch.

Vernoika Part as the Queen of the Dryads was marvelous. As I said before about her a true ballerina - I can't wait to see her as Odette/Odile. Anne Milewski as Amour was delightful and spirited and who was clearly enjoying herself, I hope to see more of her.

Marcelo Gomes - you got to love him. He oozes sensually and love to shower it on his audience to comic effect. He bow at the end of his solo in the second act was full of comic timing and sensual confidence.

All in all a wonderful first night performance of Don Quixote

So sorry to miss Nina'-Jose Don Q and the Dryad Queen of Part and Wiles. I wish ABT would also list the cast for the dryad queens and cupids in their website..They are as important as the street dancer who is usually listed. Anybody knows who will be dancing these roles for the rest of the performances of Don Q?

Joe