This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

when i was writing 'ballet 101' i chose this video to dwell on in my 'bayadere' chapter. (my discussion using this tape ended up covering pp. 359 - 381 of the finished book.)

barring unforeseen releases of the latest new/old vikharev mayrinsky 'bayadere' i'd still be choosing this particular video/record to help detail so 'key' a 19th c. ballet.

of particular interest to me is the fact that the kirov production, for all its soviet changes, still takes place on the same stage that petipa trod when revamping his 1877 work for the last time in 1900.

I'm thinking about purchasing a video of the Kirov's 1977 production of La Bayadere starring Gabriella Komleva.  Any opinions?

Thanks!

If you can find it, get a hold of this tape! Buy it, borrow it - I don't care how you do it, you must see this live performance. :thumbsup: It was a personal best for Komleva and Terekova. Its one of my treasured possessions. Komleva is simply outstanding. Terekova is 25 years old and already a ballerina's ballerina. For me the highlights are the quarrel between Gamzatti and Nikiya at the end of Act 1. How can I describe it? It was like the catfight between Krystle and Alexis in the old "Dynasty" show, or like Joan Crawford and Bette Davis fighting over the Best Actress Oscar for "Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte." Great theatre! Great acting!

In Act 2 Terekova is a bloodthirsty Gamzatti. She held nothing back using all the ammo in her technical arsenal. Her variation devoured the Kirov stage.

Her elevation was unbelievable. The audience began clapping before she finished the dance. After the betrothal pdd and her killer fouttees - (unfailingly sur place), the show came to a complete stop. When she finished taking her bows and motioned to the maestro to continue, the audience gave Komleva an entrance ovation before she began her lament/basket dance. It was like they were tag teaming each other. That audience knew they were seeing two great ballerinas at the top of their game, and they gave both of them the praise they deserved. In each Act - especially Act 3, the 1977 Kirov corps was out of this world! Definitely NOT the corps dancing today - even though they are still the best. I could never tell, even after many viewings, but the first Shade in looks alot like Altynai (??) but its probably not her. (She was in the class of '78). Do you think back then they would've given a graduating student that honor? I don't know. :shrug: ?) Hope this helps!

Wow Cygnet!

I could not have described it better, you are completely right. :yes:

I borrowed the video from school last week and it is a breathtaking production! Terekhova (one of my personal favorite ) is out of this world! Komleva, the cdb, the Golden Idol... :thumbsup:

To Makarova Fan: Do ANYTHING to get that video, it is absolutely worth it!

Here's another parrot for the chorus.....it is a superb performance and production. Not that difficult to obtain, as I recall and definitely worth the watching! I love Assylmuratova (in the RB one with Bussell & Mukhamedov) but this is an outstanding example of corps work as well as acting.

the solo 'shadows' in the 'kingdom of the shades' on the 1977 taping were identified me by irina kolpakova when i was working on my bayadere chapter: in order they were named as follows: ludmilla lopukhova, olga iskanderova & ludmila kovaleva.

Thanks to everyone for their enthusiastic thumbs up of this video. Special thanks go to Cygnet for her vividly detailed critique. I've already ordered the tape on Amazon. It's just a shame that this classic performance isn't on DVD -- at least not yet.

the solo 'shadows' in the 'kingdom of the shades' on the 1977 taping were identified me by irina kolpakova when i was working on my bayadere chapter: in order they were named as follows: ludmilla lopukhova, olga iskanderova & ludmila kovaleva.

RG its interesting to note that Kovaleva was D. Vishneva's teacher, and Iskanderova was D. Pavlenko's. Talk about continuity and tradition.

While I was in Vaganova Academy 1993-1995, Yevteyeva was the teacher of Pavlenko, I believe. I am not sure who she had prior to that, but I do know that she graduated in the class of Yevteyeva, her first class I believe. There is still continuity and tradition with Yevteyeva though. :)

I just looked on the website...Iskanderova prior to Yevteyeva! Thank you!

Edited by vrsfanatic

Everyone was right about this video. What a performance! Komleva was an exquisite Nikiya. Her showdown with Terekova was one memorable catfight and her mournful solo in Act 2 was gorgeous -- beautifully acted and danced. Terekova was the best Gamzatti I've seen. Imperious, ruthless and a technical phenomenon. Wow, did she ever bring the house down in Act 2. Cygnet, you were right, it was like Terekova and Komleva were tag teaming one another.

I don't think I've ever seen more sublime corps dancing than in Act 3.

My only criticism of the performance is Solor. Komleva and Terekova deserved a higher quality Solor.

Thanks to everyone who urged me to buy this Bayadere. I'll treasure it for a long time to come. :)

It depends on what you mean by "strong", Melissa. There surely wasn't anybody of the calibre of Soloviev, Baryshnikov or Semenov. But Sergei Vikulov, Sergei Berezhnoi (Terekhova's husband), Boris Blankov were definitely serviceable artists, and Konstantin Zaklinsky was up-and-coming.

MakarovaFan on a very somber note, Soloviev commited suicide in January 1977, (his preserved body was found in his dacha due to the ferocious cold that month). If anyone out there has the G. Smakov book "The Greatest Russian Dancers," Soloviev's section starts off with a sad letter that the author received from a friend regarding the low morale in the theatre at the time, Yuri's depression and disappearance, and the tragedy when he was found. He was gone too soon.