This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2wice magazine

According to an article in today's New York Sun, the current issue of the magazine 2wice (so called because it's issued twice annually) includes photos of New York City Ballet's Peter Boal, Janie Taylor, Albert Evans, and Sebastien Marcovici, as well as Bart Cook and Maria Calegari. The next issue, coming out in the fall, will spotlight Tom Gold. The magazine costs $20 :P and is available at Barnes & Noble.

Here's the magazine's website (no pictures of the dancers said to be featured), but the advisory board is very interesting and Nancy Dalva, DanceView contributor, is senior editor/writer.

Editing to add, that if you surf around the website, there are several features about dance. The magazine seems to be brought to us by a similar team as the defunt Dance Ink, which was a lovely photo-heavy dance magazine. At the store section, you can get back issues of 2wice and Dance Ink.

There is a also a collection of the dance photography from 2wice--including the photos mentioned above--in a new book published by Phaidon called 2wice Dance. You can get it on Amazon. I hope this link works I have never tried one before: 2wice Dance Or some one smart can put in a link here.... I have the book and have seen the magazines. Most of the dance writing (deep captions, not long pieces) is a hybrid of dance and photography writing--it is about the photographs, which are collaborations between the photograher and the choreographer, or the dancer- subject. The photos are commissioned for the magazine, which have a single word theme reflected in the title of each issue. They are not neccessarily documention of theater work--there's a picture of Mark Morris with a watermelon, for example, in the issue called "Picnic"--, although sometimes theater works are performed in the shoots. Dance Ink and 2wice have the same publisher, Patsy Tarr, a longtime supporter of dance. The same award winning graphic designer, J. Abbott Miller, is responsible for both, and 2wice is a highly designed publication. According to the intro to the book, 2wice showcases dance along with other arts, including decorative arts, to attract a broader readership than a single issue magazine. For people still interested in Dance Ink, there is book of photos complied from the magazine--now out of print, published by Chronicle. There are a lot of used copies in circulation. I've seen it on e-bay.