This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Chelsea Clinton and ballet

I think in this era, no, because she didn't have the standard body, and I don't think she was a medal candidate. I only saw her in roles like the (tomboy) "Favorite Aunt" in Nutcracker, or a lyrical pas de deux, and she could hold the stage. What was interesting is to see how her posture and carriage changed year after year. By her senior year, she looked like a ballet dancer.

Further, young Mr. Reagan had an engaging stage personality, which he used to greater advantage and to a wider audience on his TV show. He made a pleasant and comfortable conversation, and bright, too. This was sort of his downfall in talk TV, sort of a lesser Dick Cavett, "Sam, you made the talk too smart." His problem came in steps that "everybody else" can do. Not the pirouettes and jetés, but the gallumphing demi-character stuff like the "tombé-coupé-coupé" hornpipe sort of thing as in "Pineapple Poll".

Chelsea was an excellent student. Her progress in the years at WSB was in direct relationship to her intelligence, focus, and commitment. She made major changes in her physical appearance, and I think the training contributed greatly to her overall grace and aplomb as she matured into a very elegant young woman. She achieved the Release Time program and danced in Waltz of the Flowers in the WB's Nutcracker, in addition to her role as the Favorite Aunt. While she knew she did not have the physical facility for a classical dancer, she worked at it with the same determination and intensity as those who did, and her progress was quite amazing. In addition, she was always a total delight to work with and to know. She was extremely popular with her peers as well as with the faculty, and it was because of who she is as a person, and not because she was the President's daughter. I had enormous respect for her, and feel very privileged to have had the opportunity to teach her and to know her. :)

What a lovely description, Victoria! Can we find a way to sneak it over to the dancers' board? I would so love for the dancers and their parents to read your high opinion of someone who knew she wasn't destined for a pro career, but still trained at (and to) the highest level she could.

I'm SO glad to know this! I've always admired how she handled the kind of life she was dealt as a president's daughter, and it warms my heart that her ballet education contributed to her development as a graceful -- in every way -- young woman. You should be very proud of the role you played in her life, Ms. Leigh!

That was beautiful, Victoria! Thank you. I'd like to highlight this for the Moms and Dads board:

She made major changes in her physical appearance, and I think the training contributed greatly to her overall grace and aplomb as she matured into a very elegant young woman.

She could have been a walking advertisement for The Good Effects of Ballet Training. I think it helped her confidence as well.

This board just reads my mind. I am reading 'Living History' and was ridiculously thrilled to find out how important ballet was to the Clinton family. In fact, I meant to post about it after finishing the book. For instance, before declaring his candidacy for President, Bill made sure that he would be available for important events in Chelsea's life (11 at the time, I think) such as the Arkansas Ballet's Nutcracker. Also, when they need 'cheering up', Hillary and Chelsea take a trip to NY to see ABT's Sleeping Beauty. :)

I had enormous respect for her, and feel very privileged to have had the opportunity to teach her and to know her.  :wink:

I think it goes both ways. Chelsea was both privileged and lucky to have found a teacher as talented and dedicated as Victoria.

Guest Enterprisecdr

Ok..I haven't been on this board in a while but here goes...

I live in Arkansas and before Clinton was inaugurated the first time, Chelsea and I took at the same studio. I was a few years younger than she but she was always very nice to us. She was one of the "big-girls"at the studio that we actually liked (most of them were not very nice). So far, what everyone has said about her is true. Just wanted to add my two cents.

-Kat

I am reading 'Living History' and was ridiculously thrilled to find out how important ballet was to the Clinton family.

As another indication of the importance of ballet to the Clintons, the Smithsonian has included a pair of Chelsea's pointe shoes in an exhibit containing various presidential family artifacts. :innocent:

Regardless of politics, I feel most of us would applaud the Clintons for their dedication as parents.

It's interesting that there has been so much dance connected to our First Families. Ron Reagan was a professional ballet dancer -- member of the Joffrey Ballet -- for a short time. Betty Ford had danced with the Martha Graham Dance Company. Mrs. Mondale had a keen interest in dance -- I forget whether she actually danced, but I know she was a patron and attended concerts.

Bill Clinton would attend his daughter's "Nutcracker" performances. Chelsea Clinton would bring her friends to the ballet -- so at least, for a time, there was a tiny spotlight on dancing in political circles here.