This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

A Balanchine Celebration

Now that school will be out by the time they start running this program, I'll probably be able to go to more than one performance of this and La Fille. :bouncing: Here's the casting:

LA VALSE

May 27, June 5

I.

"Valses Nobles et Sentimentales"

Waltz 1 Overture

Waltz 2 Susan Bryant, Tyann Clement, Kim Wagman

Waltz 3 Sharon Teague, Dominic Walsh

Waltz 4 Mireille Hassenboehler, Andrew Murphy

Waltz 5 Julie Gumbinner, Simon Ball

Waltz 6 Simon Ball

Waltz 7 Simon Ball, Susan Bryant, Tyann Clement, Kim Wagman

Waltz 8 Barbara Bears, Zdenek Konvalina

II.

"La Valse"

BARBARA BEARS ZDENEK KONVALINA

PHILLIP BROOMHEAD

SHARON TEAGUE &

DOMINIC WALSH MIREILLE HASSENBOEHLER & ANDREW MURPHY

JULIE GUMBINNER & SIMON BALL

Susan Bryant, Tyann Clement, Kim Wagman, Michelle Carpenter, Jaquel Charlesworth, Bridgett Zehr, Kelly Myernick, Clare Miklaunus, Kristina Harper, Anne Harshbarger, Pamela Lane, Frances Perez-Ball,

Laura Richards, Cleopatra Williams, Ingrid Zweifel, Lisa Kaczmarek, Carl Coomer, Peter Gleeson, James Gotesky, Oliver Halkowich, Chavo Killingsworth, Caleb Mitchell, Arkadiy Orohovsky, Travis Bradley

LA VALSE

May 29, June 4

I.

Waltz 1 Overture

Waltz 2 Susan Bryant, Tyann Clement, Bridgett Zehr

Waltz 3 Leticia Oliveira, Randy Herrera

Waltz 4 Kelly Myernick, Caleb Mitchell

Waltz 5 Kim Wagman, Phillip Broomhead

Waltz 6 Phillip Broomhead

Waltz 7 Phillip Broomhead, Susan Bryant, Tyann Clement, Bridgett Zehr

Waltz 8 Erin Patak, Andrew Murphy

II.

"La Valse"

ERIN PATAK ANDREW MURPHY

NICHOLAS LESCHKE

LETICIA OLIVEIRA &

RANDY HERRERA KELLY MYERNICK &

CALEB MITCHELL

KIM WAGMAN & PHILLIP BROOMHEAD

Susan Bryant, Tyann Clement, Bridgett Zehr, Lisa Kaczmarek, Michelle Carpenter, Jaquel Charlesworth, Kristina Harper, Clare Miklaunus, Jessica Collado, Anne Harshbarger, Pamela Lane, Frances Perez-Ball,

Laura Richards, Cleopatra Williams, Ingrid Zweifel, Sadie Black, Carl Coomer, Peter Gleeson, James Gotesky, Oliver Halkowich, Chavo Killingsworth, Barry Kerollis, Arkadiy Orohovsky, Travis Bradley

LA VALSE

May 30, June 6

I.

Waltz 1 Overture

Waltz 2 Susan Bryant, Bridgett Zehr, Kelly Myernick

Waltz 3 Sharon Teague, Carl Coomer

Waltz 4 Jaquel Charlesworth, Lucas Priolo

Waltz 5 Tyann Clement, Nicholas Leschke

Waltz 6 Nicholas Leschke

Waltz 7 Nicholas Leschke, Susan Bryant, Bridgett Zehr, Kelly Myernick

Waltz 8 Kim Wagman, Ian Casady

II.

"La Valse"

KIM WAGMAN IAN CASADY

CALEB MITCHELL

SHARON TEAGUE &

CARL COOMER JAQUEL CHARLESWORTH &

LUCAS PRIOLO

TYANN CLEMENT & NICHOLAS LESCHKE

Susan Bryant, Bridgett Zehr, Kelly Myernick, Lisa Kaczmarek, Michelle Carpenter, Erin Patak, Kristina Harper, Clare Miklaunus, Jessica Collado, Anne Harshbarger, Pamela Lane, Frances Perez-Ball,

Laura Richards, Cleopatra Williams, Ingrid Zweifel, Sadie BlackPeter Gleeson, James Gotesky, Oliver Halkowich, Chavo Killingsworth, Barry Kerollis, Arkadiy Orohovsky, Travis Bradley, Alexander Pandiscio

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APOLLO

May 27, June 30

Apollo Andrew Murphy

Terpsichore Mireille Hassenboehler

Polyhymnia Kelly Myernick

Calliope Bridgett Zehr

Leto Susan Bryant

Nymphs Clare Miklaunus

Michelle Carpenter

APOLLO

May 29, June 4

Apollo Zdenek Konvalina

Terpsichore Barbara Bears

Polyhymnia Sara Webb

Calliope Laura Richards

Leto Erin Patak

Nymphs Clare Miklaunus

Michelle Carpenter

APOLLO

June 5, June 6

Apollo Simon Ball

Terpsichore Barbara Bears

Polyhymnia Julie Gumbinner

Calliope Kim Wagman

Leto Susan Bryant

Nymphs Clare Miklaunus

Michelle Carpenter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THEME AND VARIATIONS

May 27, 29

LETICIA OLIVEIRA SIMON BALL

Tyann Clement, Sharon Teague, Kim Wagman, Michelle Carpenter

Ian Casady, Randy Herrera, Nicholas Leschke, Lucas Priolo

Susan Bryant, Britain Werkheiser, Kristina Harper, Anne Harshbarger,

Pamela Lane, Cleopatra Williams, Ingrid Zweifel, Erin Patak,

Carl Coomer, Peter Gleeson, James Gotesky, Oliver Halkowich,

Caleb Mitchell, Arkadiy Orohovsky, Travis Bradley, Barry Kerollis

THEME AND VARIATIONS

May 30, June 5

SARA WEBB ZDENEK KONVALINA

Jaquel Charlesworth, Kristina Harper, Lisa Kaczmarek, Bridgett Zehr

Anne Harshbarger, Clare Miklaunus, Kelly Myernick, Frances Perez-Ball,

Laura Richards, Cleopatra Williams, Ingrid Zweifel, Erin Patak,

Caleb Mitchell, Arkadiy Orohovsky, Travis Bradley, Alexander Pandiscio

THEME AND VARIATIONS

June 4, June 6

MIREILLE HASSENBOEHLER ANDREW MURPHY

Tyann Clement, Sharon Teague, Kim Wagman, Michelle Carpenter

Susan Bryant, Britain Werkheiser, Kristina Harper, Anne Harshbarger,

Pamela Lane, Cleopatra Williams, Ingrid Zweifel, Erin Patak,

Caleb Mitchell, Arkadiy Orohovsky, Travis Bradley, Alexander Pandiscio

Should be interesting to see Konvalina as Apollo and Zehr as one of the muses. :)

Saturday, May 29th performance:

The program started out with La Valse. Apprentice Erin Patak took the central role of the girl in white. I don’t know if this was her major role debut or not, but she seemed more seasoned and more comfortable dancing than one would expect from an apprentice. She danced opposite Andrew Murphy and Nicholas Leschke (“death”), both of whom aptly conveyed the pathos their roles required. I would really like to see Murphy cast as the “dark prince.” This would also be the first time in a long time I’ve seen Phillip Broomhead doing something other than mime. It’s sad to see a dancer of his caliber have his technique dwindle away. I wish I could have seen this from the grand tier or balcony- I was but a few rows away from the stage and off to the side where many times the heads in front of me obstructed my view and left me unable to see the a full view of the beautiful patterns being created, but I'm okay with it since my tickets were free. :rolleyes:

Next was Apollo, which included the birth scene at the beginning. Zdenek Konvalina had the look, the musicality, the lyricism and fluidity of his dancing, and his polished technique, all of which made for an incredible Apollo. He danced with a trio of blondes (whoever said they are a rare existence in ballet hasn’t seen HB)- Laura Richards (Calliope), Sara Webb (Polyhymnia), and Barbara Bears (Terpsichore). Like someone else mentioned on another thread, Bears is indeed in top form and for me was the standout of the three muses (not to mention she towered over the other two height-wise!). Well, I suppose Terpsichore generally is supposed to be the standout muse, but with Bears in the role, it made it all the better. It was interesting to see the three do a simple first position arabesque one by one, and the most senior of the dancers would give the next most classical line. That is, Richards was the most hyperextended, next Webb wasn’t as stretched out as Richards but still reached beyond what some would consider to be a classical line, and last Bears had her leg at a perfect 90 degree angle (at least that’s what it looked like from where I was sitting).

Not much to say about T&V except that I always enjoy watching Simon Ball and Leticia Oliveira. I can’t get over how different Oliveira’s body was compared to the other girls. She was much shorter than the rest and her legs more muscular and built. I thought for a second that she looked like a dancer out of Joffrey, and then I remember that she used to dance in that company before she came here. T&V was the perfect close for the evening.

Seeing Balanchine’s choreography felt like a breath of fresh air after witnessing so much mediocrity in comparison. :) I'm such a biased individual...

Sunday May 30th:

Great show! (mostly)

This was my first time to see La Valse, and I feel like I need to see it a few more times. It was lovely, minus one of the lead women who just seemed to refuse to use her turnout. Patterns were gorgeous, corps was together and elegant. Nice!

Apollo. Hmmm... one of my favorite ballets, but I'm not sure I really liked the way this one was staged. I know it's typical to see differences in Balanchine ballets based on who sets them -- but I found myself wrinkling my nose up at a few differences in the choreography that surprised me. Unfortunately we were sitting so high that we could not see Apollo's mother during the birth scene (except her feet) -- so I was re-enacting that for the friends I was with. Not sure they really appreciated that! :) The whole ballet seemed way, way too fast. But the dancers did their best to keep up. I'm afraid I did not enjoy Andrew Murphy in the title role -- I just didn't see anything God-like about him. The ladies, however, were beautiful. Ms. Zehr really proved herself worthy. (On that note, it always excites me in a way when I see apprentices dancing principal roles -- I can just imagine some of the wrath poor Bridgett has had to endure from other dancers over this casting. I'd like to think that everyone would just be supportive of eachother, but I think we all know better!!!!)

Theme and Variations was the highlight of my day. I could have sat through it several more times. Zdenek Konvalina was so regal, and every time I see Sara Webb I admire her even more. She made that fast, furious variation look like nothing!! The corps was FABULOUSLY together (trust me -- I was high enough to see every single line and pattern.) And the energy, precision, and fast foot work were truly admirable. I think Mr. B would have been proud to see his ballet performed as it was by these dancers.

Oh, and regarding Zehr, it's no secret that she's a favorite of Welch. I don't think anyone was really truly suprised that she was given that role. Even Molly Glentzer mentions in her review that she's a "shooting star from the apprentice ranks." Also, both of the female apprentices, both of whom are staying with the company next season, were given principal roles for this program. Perhaps they're just being "tested"...? :shrug:

I saw opening night of balanchine celebration and I thought it was great. The corps seemed a little reserved but together in La Valse and Theme. If Barbara Bears wasnt dancing in La Valse I would have been falling asleep in my seat. She was radiant and just beautiful. I just love watching her , her artistry and grace blows me away.

Apollo, however, I really really enjoyed. The cast was superb and I thought altogether it was wonderful. Bridgett Zehr couldn't have looked more stunning. She attracts the eye when dancing and I think the audience realized that. And Kelly Myernick was incredibly fierce. She looked great. Mimi was my favorite. She is always delightful and is just a pleasure to watch. I thought her and Andrew danced marvelously together.

Theme and Variations was my absolute favorite of the night. Leticia is not only an extroirdinary performer but her technique is incredible. She was wonderful. In her variation, because of how tiny she is, the stage looked huge. But it just makes you want to keep your eyes on her the whole time. The pas danced by Leticia and Simon literally gave me goosebumps. I dont know whether it was the music or just them but I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. She makes everything look so easy when actually Theme is extremely difficult. I was so impressed with the whole night, and I am hoping that Leticia will be promoted soon!

Overall opening night was great. I am looking forward to see La fille.

Saw two performances on Friday and Saturday......

Wish I had seen Zehr, who from all reports is great and unusually talented.

however, agreed with most of the reports here. Bears has never danced with more abandon, amplitude, or style; the ballet is very lucky that she's returned. she was a model of sensibility in La Valse. and as Old Fashioned said, she is extremely classical, punciliously so. it's a pleasure to see her in non-classical positions such as the ones which are frequent in Apollo; when she does them it's clear what they are diverging FROM. I liked Patak fairly well in the role but it was, of necessity, very young and unfinished next to Bears' performance. the emotions didn't come across with Patak.

Also enjoyed the Handmaidens in Apollo very much (Michelle Carpenter and Clare Miklaunus). Neither Webb (to my great surprise) nor Gumbinner was technically clean as Polyhymnia (it is an extremely difficult role); I found Gumbinner more vivid and more interesting, and I usually love Webb. Wagman was funny and sprightly as Calliope, and Ball was interesting and rough (which Balanchine was known to like and want in this role) as Apollo. The apotheosis was beautiful-- what a loss when the full ballet is not given.....and the ravishing final ascent.....

The corps did look pretty good in Theme. and the demis on Saturday, who did include Zehr (but not knowing her, I couldn't pick her out, though I had suspicions, lol) were excellent. I must differ from the other reviewers on Konvalina, who does NOTHING for me (I groan when he's announced). Webb was listed for Saturday's Theme but was replaced by Oliveira, who was good especially in the second solo variation (the turning jumps especially). the first variation seemed to daunt her slightly, which is normal :green: have seen many ballerinas in this part and only Ashley and Nichols appeared at ease in the opening variation. Hassenboehler doesn't like gargouillades (well, who does) but she was appropriately regal and elegant in the rest of the role, although much more at ease in the pas de deux, it appeared. Murphy was better than Konvalina but neither was up to the part-- nor did either attempt the tours and pirouettes to one side, then the other, which are done at NYCB in the variation. it is much more difficult and interesting that way. The polonaise was a galop in three both nights-- MUCH too fast, even for Balanchine tastes. the dancers did well to fit in the steps, especially the demi passages. As Old Fashioned eloquently opined, a Balanchine evening is a breath of fresh air.