This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

The New Eifman Ballet

Are you planning to go to the new Eifman Ballet?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Are you planning to go to the new Eifman Ballet?

• Yes
    • No

I won't vote since there's no category "I'd go if I could", but that would indeed be my response! My daughter's teacher, who trained under Alla Osipenko at the Vaganova school, has told us many times that Eifman is absolutely brilliant. I'd love to go see for myself.

Yes, I'm planning to go because it's on one of my subscriptions, Series 6 on Friday nights. This subscription also includes Wheeldon's Shambards on May 21 and the new Martins ballet on June 4. The Eifman is on June 18. I'd probably go anyway, because how could I resist seeing Maria Kowroski as Suzanne?

I'm going...what would be the reason to boycott? Is Eifman a Republican?

There are very few ballets at NYCB that I have not seen, one glaring exclusion has been WEST SIDE STORY...I never liked the show or the movie and though I have been at many performances where WSS is the closing piece, I always leave before it starts. Other ballets I don't care for are LA SONNAMBULA, I'M OLD FASHIONED, STABAT MATER, HARMONIELEHRHE, VESPRO, INTERPLAY and ORPHEUS. I always try to see every new ballet, twice if possible...

I've never seen his work, so I'll give it a try. It should be an interesting event. I was not expecting much from the Stroman Double Feature and that turned out to be quite fun. So I will keep my expectation level low (very low) and hope for the best (but sincerely hope no one gets dragged along the floor).

After reading Wendy's comments in the NY Times today I am feeling both apprehensive and curious. I suppose we need to give the piece a chance. At least I get a beautifully-cast TCHAIKOVSKY SUITE 3 on my programme, so no matter what Eifman comes up with, I'll have already gotten my money's worth.

Still...Wendy as Mourka??? Sounds pretty zany...

Hi FF. Good question, and thanks for the attention to our precarious situation here.

This is disastrous programming for the SPAC gala, imo. The SPAC gala is completely different from galas at State Theater--the only commonality is the name of the event.

Our gala begins with dinner and lots of alcohol, so that the gussied-up attendees are several sheets to the wind before they even take their seats--that is if they even sit down. Many prefer to continue the party up on the lawn, where it is noisy, smoky (lots of cigars--lovely), and raucous. Most of the diehard fans stay away in droves. The saving grace is that if the weather cooperates, a fair amount of cash is raised.

Every year at least one ballet is performed only once in the season, at the gala. This year we will have our only chance to see and hear the glorious Barber Violin Concerto--one of the few Martins works that I really love, and the music is my favorite among the contemporary violin concerti. The majority of the audience will not watch, listen or care about this piece--a true waste of the efforts of the concertmaster, orchestra and dancers.

Even worse was the decision to open a program with 4Ts. If I ruled the world, or the NYCB, I would never choose Ts as a curtain raiser. I love it, but it requires so much concentration that I wouldn't expect a knowledgable audience, much less the gala crowd, to fully grasp it at the beginning of the program. I find that I need to sink into it--if that expression makes any sense here. It isn't easy music for an unfamiliar ear to hear. I wouldn't put it on the gala at all. That's why Balanchine made Vienna Waltzes, Stars, Union Jack, and the like--and I do expect to get an argument over that, but it's my opinion.

So by the time we get to the Eifman, the vast majority of the audience will be inebriated, many of the husbands who were dragged will be snoring, the staff will be out of patience, and hopefully SPAC will have raised some money.

FF, I'm more concerned about the Eifman on the other performances, when the audience that cares will be there. It will be interesting, to say the least.

You're absolutely tight---this was the time they should have programmed Stars & Stripes, Who Cares?, I'm Old Fashioned, etc., instead of on other nights.

Last year they did full lengths. This year they do tepertory, and Eifman, at that. Go figure. It's as if they weere cooking up recipes for disaster.

Actually, I've enjoyed the Galas in years past! The merrymakers on the lawn don't bother me and it's fun to see all the picnic regalia! Living with years of Wolf Trap picnics (now those are Picnics!) has given me an appreciation for ingenuity in the face of some of the weather disasters I've seen......

The fireworks at SPAC are a highlight, but after Eifman I wonder if anyone will care. Maybe they ought to distribute vodka...... :wink:

By the way, Save the Ballet was offering things on eBay....now's your chance, folks!!!!!

So by the time we get to the Eifman, the vast majority of the audience will be inebriated, many of the husbands who were dragged will be snoring

This might be the best possible condition in which to watch the Eifman. :wink:

Well, you folks had me so depressed just thinking about SPAC and the

grim future for Dance in America. I took a walk to Bryant Park to see

Broadway Under the Stars. While the orchestra played a medley they

showed a big screen montage of clips from movies based in New York

City. The two scenes that got the most applause and cheers - now this

is a crowd of about 10,000 people -were the Jets from West Side Story

and the 3 sailors from On the Town. So at least our pal, Jerry Robbins

is appreciated by the Masses. So now I feel a lot better. Good Night.