This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

besides, as already pointed out here, CONCERTO BAROCCO in the dubiously filmed german tv version - with patricia mcbride, carole sumner and peter martins, the second movement was shown on an early 'dance in america' about pennsylvania ballet (see below)

the cbc filmed the complete ballet with suzanne farrell, marnee morris and conrad in the late '60s, a kinescope of this (sometimes shown in color, sometimes in black-and-white) is in some collections, but there is now no complete version of the ballet in the public domain.

here are the credits for the pennsylvania ballet version as noted in the n.y.public library for the perf. arts:

Pennsylvania Ballet / WNET/13 ; directed by Merrill Brockway ; produced by Emile Ardolino. New York, N.Y. : WNET, 1976. (60 min.) : sd., col.

Telecast on the Dance in America series on June 2, 1976 by WNET/13, New York.

Written by Tobi Tobias.

Narrator: Paul Hecht.

Members of the Pennsylvania Ballet perform works from the company repertoire. Includes a historical survey of dance in Philadelphia, an interview with company director Barbara Weisberger, class and rehearsal scenes with artistic director Benjamin Harkarvy, and segments on the company school showing Margarita de Saa and Lupe Serrano teaching class.

Grosse Fuge: Men's dance / choreography and costumes, Hans van Manen ; music, Ludwig van Beethoven ; sets, Jean Paul Vroom ; danced by Dane LaFontsee, Edward Myers, Jerry Schwender, and Janek Schergen.

Concerto barocco: 2nd movement / choreography, George Balanchine ; music, J. S. Bach ; danced by Joanne Danto, Gregory Drotar, and members of the company.

Madrigalesco: Prelude and Pas de quatre / choreography, Benjamin Harkarvy ; music, Antonio Vivaldi ; costumes, Nicolas Wijnberg ; danced by Alba Calzada, Marcia Darhower, Edward Myers, and Jerry Schwender.

Adagio, Hammerklavier: Third duet / choreography, Hans van Manen ; music, Ludwig van Beethoven ; costumes, Jean Paul Vroom ; danced by Michelle Lucci and Lawrence Rhodes.

Concerto grosso / choreography, Charles Czarny ; music, G. F. Händel ; costumes, Joop Stokvis ; danced by Karen Brown, Tamara Hadley, Mark Hochman, David Jordan, Dane LaFontsee, Barry Leon, Gretchen Warren, and Missy Yancey.

here is the CBC credit:

Le New York City Ballet 1968.

Telecast on L'heure du concert, Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. Narration in French. Choreography: George Balanchine. Performed by the New York City Ballet.

CONTENTS.-- Concerto barocco. Music: J. S. Bach (Concerto, 2 violins & string orchestra, S. 1043, D minor) Performed by Suzanne Farrell, Marnee Morris, Conrad Ludlow, and eight members of the female corps de ballet.

the B&W kinescope w/ leclercq & adams in BAROCCO is likely one made in '56 by the CBC - the first of the efforts by the studio in montreal for balanchine.

i forgot about it, as i had no memory jog from the n.y.public lib. for the perf. arts catalogue; the dance collection seems not to have a copy of this film.

sure enough, as i recall i mistakenly left the space out of le clercq's name, so the search went dry. apologies. here's what the n.y.p.library for perf. arts says about this footage. evidently the specific date is unknown to the library cataloguers. i got my date of '56 from the catalogue produced for the museum of broadcasting's first celebration of balanchine and television from 1984.

Concerto barocco / choreography by George Balanchine ; music by Johann Sebastian Bach (Double violin concerto in D minor, B. W. V. 1043) 195-? (19 min.) : sd., b&w

Danced by members of the New York City Ballet: Tanaquil Le Clercq, Diana Adams, Jacques d'Amboise, and six women (rather than the usual eight).

Recorded in Montréal (?), Québec, Canada, and telecast on the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation's cultural program L'heure du concert.

Titles in French; spoken introduction in French and English.

:shrug: I don't know that anyone out there is able to answer this question, but I'll go ahead and ask anyway.

I've started searching for ballet videos/DVDs recently, and have come across a few older ones that were created by CBC (the Candian Broadcasting Company). The curious thing is that one seems to have to purchase these via the US (I live in Canada). Why do you think it is that a Canadian production is for some reason only available via a US distributor? I've also searched the CBC website - they offer very few videos for sale, and none of the older "classic" ones (such as the Balanchine one mentioned on this thread)...

Hmm...

my uneducated hunch is that the US distributor bought the rights for home video from CBC thus it 'owns' those specific commercial rights, but this is merely a guess on my part. i have no firsthand or official knowledge of the situation.