This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

"American Choreographers" postage stamps

The process that began several years ago when some of us urged the US Postal Service to issue a commemmorative stamp honoring Balanchine's 100th birthday has at last come to fruition. In the process the original idea was lost and substituted was a group of four stamps honoring American Choreographers: Martha Graham, Alvin Ailey, Agnes de Mille, and Balanchine. Now the stamps are out and I'm more than a little disappointed. The colors are muted and the detail unclear. If these were television pictures instead of stamps, I'd be fiddling with the color and brightness controls till I drove myself crazy. The names Martha Graham and George Balanchine are hard to read -- yellow type on a pale background. Those of Alvin Ailey and Agnes de Mille, also in yellow type, are on dark backgrounds and legible. I suppose these stamps are better than nothing, though, and I intend to use them as much as possible. Incidentally, I don't know what the philatelic term is, but they come in sheets of twenty. Under the vertical row of five Graham stamps it says, "Martha Graham is a registered trademark." Under the Ailey row it says, "Alvin Ailey is a trademark of Alvin Ailey Dance Foundation, Inc." Under the de Milles, "The appellation Agnes de Mille belongs to de Mille Productions," and under the Balanchines: "BALANCHINE is a trademarkof the George Balanchine Trust." Just wanted to give you the complete picture, appellations and all.

I wonder how the postal clerk will take to requests for, say, four rows of Balanchine.  Just Balanchine.  :D

Just try asking for the 'choreographer's stamp' as I did a month ago at my local post office---the clerk did not know what to make of the word 'choreographer'. :rolleyes:

If they do it like the other sets, they have:

Stamp 1, stamp 2

Stamp 3, stamp 4

Stamp 1, stamp 2

etc.

So you'll have to take 'em all :D

I have photos of these -- if I have time to post them on the main site tomorrow I will, and give you a link. I just checked the USPS site and couldn't find them.

Thanks!  How did you find them?  I did a search for "choreographers" and "Balanchine," and also went to their shop and looked at the stamps they had (the arts and the people section).

Google, Alexandra. Always Google. :D