This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

BSB in Canada - any reviews??

I saw Raymonda performed by Ms. Lucia Lacarra last Saturday evening. I was extremely charmed by this delicate dancer. Her technique was flawless and her acting quite charming. sometimes, it felt to she was litteraly transported to another world while she was dancing and it is rare I saw this in a ballerina. The only thing that I liked a bit less was that she perhaps could have played a more "imposing" Raymonda, her interpretation was a bit too naive and innocent for a princess like Raymonda in my opinion.(Not sure if Raymonda is a princess, but of noble blood for sure).

The men were breathtaking. Jumps, extensions, batterie, etc were very well done.

I was very disappointed by the corps de ballet esp. in the dream scene. They were too much of a contrast with the etheral quality of Ms. Lacarra. Some of them were not in good shape for the stage (even I noticed it and found it awkward although I am not against healthy looking ballerinas...).

Unfortunatedly, the Place des Arts' stage seemed a bit to small for the whole show as it seemed to be too crowded in some moments. (Not at all the dancers' fault)Overall, I LOVED Ms. Lacarra, and the males who played Jean de Brienne (Roman Lazik) and Abderakhman (Erkhan Kurth). I would definetly like to see more of the BSB.

I am very greatful that they traveled all the way to present themselves to us in Montreal. This city has a GREAT lack of displaying classical works. If only the Grands Ballets Canadiens could proclaim themselves defensors of the classical tradition...But it won't happen in this Century! So thank you BSB to bring us some classical ballet to this city!

Sylphide, thank you so much for your review!

I am glad you enjoyed the performance - I think Lucia Laccara and Roman Lazik have a lovely rapport on stage which adds to the quality of their dancing.

Sorry to hear about the corps de ballet - but I was worried about that before they left Germany as they were flat out already then! There are lots and lots of injuries, so I do not know how many of the girls had to step in with very short rehearsal time... They used to be better, especially when they first performed La Bayadere a few years ago - but maybe also too much Mats Ek has taken some of the etheral quality out of their dancing?

Lucky you to have seen Erkan Kurt earlier than anyone here in Munich - I only learnt from a press realease that he had been given a contract, and now we are waiting to see him here on stage!

Thanks again - and I do hope you will get some classical ballet sometimes, too!