This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

starting a DVD collection - must have's?

I recommend the Bolshoi's SPARTACUS dvd starring Vladimir Vasiliev. The disc features one of the most astonishing performances ever captured on film (Vasiliev as Spartacus) and contains a wonderful extra of a 21-year-old Vasiliev dancing a solo from The Little Humpbacked Horse which also features Maya Plisetskaya as the Queen-Maiden.

The Erik Bruhn and Rudolf Nureyev Bell Telephone Hour DVD is excellent. Larissas Lezhnina as Aurora is on DVD now, as well as "Essential Ballet." Also, Nureyev's production of Swan Lake with the Vienna State Opera Ballet (how much you want this will depend on how much you like Fonteyn and Nureyev--the production's awful, but Fonteyn does a great job, especially in Act III).

I have two DVD's that I love! One is Nureyev's Don Quixote with Lucette Aldous and the Australian Ballet. It is a romp! It was made in 1972 or thereabouts when he was still dancing well. It's well directed and has been remastered so the color is beautiful. It also contains a documentary on the making of the film in an airplane hangar!

The other is Makarova and Anthony Dowell in Swan Lake. Both of them are wonderful, terrific dancing and acting. I love her Odette/Odile better than any I've seen on stage or video.

I could make a long list, but those are my two favorites.

I don't know whether this film has come out on DVD yet (maybe it has in France), but it's one to keep an eye out for: "Violette et Mr. B." I just saw the San Francisco screening -- with Violette Verdy present to answer questions afterward -- and was floored by her dancing, even in those poor quality old clips. She's also an exceptionally articulate and entertaining speaker, as is evident in the coaching scenes (in which you get to see some excellent dancers). If a DVD does appear, it will be a must-have.

No Djb, no film by Dominique Delouche were realised in DVD yet. It makes so many beautiful documentaries as this one on Violette Verdy, we saw Lucia Lacarra learn Liebeslieder Walzer, a documentary about Yvette Chauviré with all the etoile of these last twenty years, Sylvie Guillem, Monique Loudièes, Isabelle Guérin, Elisabeth Maurin, Marie-Claude Pietragalla and so on.

One of my favourite choreograph is John Neumeier, I had his "Illusion like a Swan Lake", I love almost all the POB DVD especially Romeo and Juliet in Nureyev Production I prefer far away to MacMillan's :flowers: !

Ok, here are DVDs that I have and strongly reccommend!

Paris Opera Ballet - Paquita (Janaury 2003)

Paris Opera Ballet - Don Q (Janaury 2002)

Jiri Kylian - Black and White Ballets

London Festival Ballet - Swan Lake (Makarova's Version)

I found all of these at Borders. (I think :D ?)