This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Did anyone see this on Broadway or know of the subject matter of this musical? It opened on September 2, 1937 and closed October 23, 1937 with choreography by Florence Rogge. It had quite a large cast with many ballet names among the members -- Leon Fokine, Gail Grant (I think this must be the author of the ballet manual), Thalia Mara (author of several ballet technique books), David Preston (professor at T.C.U.), Patricia Bowman, and Irene Zambelli.

Florence Rogge--that name rings a bell. She was the director of the Radio City Music Hall's Corps de Ballet for a long time. I wonder if she was the originator of the RCMH bourree. Travelling across that huge stage several times a day, some members of the Corps had a unique bourree. The back foot was off pointe and the front foot on pointe.

You know, now that I think about it, I remember reading this thing about thirty years ago, when I was first getting into the historic preservation racket. It was sort of a commercial for Colonial Williamsburg. I don't remember the production details, or even the author or composer, but I remember thinking that it was pretty weak stuff. I think the producer was John D. Rockefeller, Jr.