This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Jane Comfort in D.C.

Did anybody else see this? (Or am I in the wrong forum - wouldn't be the first time!) I hadn't seen her work before so didn't know what to expect. In Sunday's performance at D.C.'s Dance Place, they danced Persephone (2003) and Underground River (1998). It seemed more like dance theater rather than pure dance - the performers' vocalizations (singing, speech) were integral. Persephone was a psychological take on the well-known myth; an interesting interlude in the Underworld, full of movement and energy, was sandwiched between two less-interesting scenes in the Upperworld. The other piece, Underground River, cleverly. and at times movingly, portrayed a girl in a coma, using four dancers to represent fragments of her personality. Considering both dances together, I thought the choreography was kind of simplistic at times but overall the dances were psychologically engaging. In terms of performance, I was very impressed by Olase Freeman (Hades in Persephone) who is incredibly light on his feet, yet strong and charismatic. I'll look for any chance to see him again!

The evening got two reviews (both mixed) from the Washington Post.