• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 silvy

silvy

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 12:03 PM

I wonder if anyone can tell me his / her opinion on the documentary "Balanchine", which is commercially available. Accoding to what I have read on Amazon.com, it was shown on public television. The cover features Balanchine's portrait on a green background, and the "Agon" pdd

Thanks
Silvy

#2 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 12:38 PM

I would enthusiastically encourage any Balanchine lover (or liker, even) to see this video. The writing was excellent. It was informative, and the dance clips are intelligently chosen gems.

#3 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,246 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 01:11 PM

Agree, agree. Balanchine haters should give it a whirl, too :) Lots and lots and lots of clips of ballets with the original casts.

#4 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 01:34 PM

Here was an earlier discussion:
http://balletalert.c...showtopic=15698

I definetely recommend it for a pretty good overview of Balanchine's life and art, with some incredible clips.

#5 koskoff

koskoff

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 02:56 PM

It may be ridiculous to respond to a post that's over a year old but...

I taped this when it was originally shown (circa 1984) and just finished watching it again. The bad news is that my tape has about had it. The good news is that it is being re-released on DVD by WGBH <shopthirteen.org> on July 26, 2005.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):