This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Gelsey Kirkland

Guest BalletTeacherNE

Guest BalletTeacherNE

Hi, Does anyone know what Gelsey Kirkland has been up to lately ? I heard she was living in Florida with her husband Greg Laurence and teaching/coaching at Southern Ballet Theatre. I just recently got through reading " Dancing on My Grave " for the tenth time and I was also able to obtain a transcript from her " 60 Minutes " interview with Diane Sawyer in 1987 and Im curious if a video copy of that interview exists ? She is such an inspiration to me in the sense that through all of her adversity she was able to overcome so much and become a positive role model for future generations of dancers.

I believe for the past two years she has been studying teaching in Melbourne, Australia at the Victoria College for the Arts. She is married to her 2nd husband, who is Australian (Lithuanian heritage). She found that in order to work in a high level job in Australia, she needed to study to be a teacher. I believe she is studying the RAD syllabus which is quite prevalent in Australia.

As a teacher, I would tend to disagree with you about studying a system that one had not known before. It should be most advantageous to any teacher to study any method of teaching. It helps to organize classes, recognize the breakdown of movements, understand/be able to communicate with students from different backgrounds and open eyes to differering ways. It is expanding one's vocabulary! Not all teachers are able to see so clearly. Teaching can be a very isolating experience and as much exposure as one can have, could only help, IMO. It is amazing to really comprehend how many different ways there are to do things. Also, studying the teaching methods of any country/culture shows respect for their ways. :wink: More often than not, big name dancers do not always know instantly how to teach! :)