This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

mcb at liu

Miami City Ballet made one of its too-rare and too-brief forays into the New York area last weekend, performing Friday and Saturday at the Tilles Center of Long Island University. Program one was a bracing tribute to Balanchine -- Ballo della Regina, Stravinsky Violin Concerto, and "Rubies." Program #2 was Villella's Neighborhood Ballroom. Both got enthusiastic receptions from near-capacity houses, and the dancers earned their bows.

Ballo was sharp, especially Mikhail Ilyin in the male lead, and a focused, energetic corps. Jeanette Delgado also made an impact with a bouncy fourth variation. In Stravinsky Violin Concerto, Jennifer Kronenberg blew us away in the second pas de deux. She got the "agonistic" feel of the part, particularly in that vivid move where her partner (Carlos Guerra) crushes her legs inward. Kronenberg came right back with another vivid, sexy pas with Renato Penteado in "Rubies." Andrea Spiridonakos was the other scarlet lady, who knocked us back in our seats with her high kicks en face.

Neighborhood Ballroom, which I'd never seen before, was something of a revelation. I wasn't too hopeful about a ballet based on social dances -- partly because I know that many ballet dancers can't do a lindy or a mambo -- and when they have to, they look like they learned it in a ballet studio, stiff and upright. Not these people! I never saw anyone shimmy as fast as Iliana Lopez in the mambo finale. The whole company seems to be made up of people who have danced all their lives, in every style, for the love of it. Real dancers!

Edited by flipsy

Thanks for that report, flipsy. The company is coming to the DC area next week with the same program.

I thought Iliana Lopez had retired? Or perhaps the press accounts of her and her husband's "final" performances were talking about their last performances in Florida?