This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Mao's Last Dancer

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 lisinka1

lisinka1

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 04:23 PM

I found this book and the history associated with it very interesting. I have read many ballet autobiographies. After reading about so many American dancers experiences it was a breath of fresh air to read about the Chinese ballet system and history. I also enjoyed reading about his and his parents' first experiences with American culture. At times the book was a little bit slow but I did learn a lot from it.

#17 MinkusPugni

MinkusPugni

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 03:24 PM

I have read the whole of it and loved ever second of it!

#18 tra-ta

tra-ta

• Inactive Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 06:08 AM

“Mao’s Last Dancer” movie is in production! Can’t wait to see the movie! :dry:

#19 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,349 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 07:56 AM

That's great news about the moie, tra-ta. The rights were sold last year, and it's good to know that the project is in production.

No word on imdb on casting or director yet, but the adaptation is being done by Jan Sardi, who has done a number of screenplays and adaptations for Australian TV and movies, including Shine.

#20 innopac

innopac

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 10:59 PM

The director of the upcoming movie will be Bruce Beresford. Beresford's other films include Breaker Morant (1980), Driving Miss Daisy (1989) and Black Robe (1991).

Li Cunxin has just published in Australia a children's book. The illustrated picture book is called The Peasant Prince. Perhaps in a few months it will be available in a U.S. edition?

#21 JMcN

JMcN

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 12:44 AM

The director of the upcoming movie will be Bruce Beresford. Beresford's other films include Breaker Morant (1980), Driving Miss Daisy (1989) and Black Robe (1991).

Li Cunxin has just published in Australia a children's book. The illustrated picture book is called The Peasant Prince. Perhaps in a few months it will be available in a U.S. edition?

There are some location finding pictures on Bruce Beresford's website, bringing the start of filming that much closer. Is there any news on the actors?

I read the book when it was first published and found it an inspirational read. Having read the earlier posts I would like to add that I can remember reading an interview with Li where he said he had written so many words that about half of them were edited out. Perhaps he may do a second volume with more detail of his life in America and beyond.

I saw Li dancing with Houston Ballet at the Edinburgh Festival in around 1989 and have always remembered him. His wife Mary was the first Giselle I ever saw when she was dancing with London Festival Ballet (now ENB).

#22 innopac

innopac

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 12:53 AM

"Best piece of Lyric Theatre foyer gossip: the movie version of Li Cunxin's Mao's Last Dancer, directed by Bruce Beresford, will be choreographed by Graeme Murphy, former artistic director of Sydney Dance Company, with the SDC's Hickson Road studios being transformed into the studios of the Houston Ballet, where Li danced as a principal artist. Birmingham Royal Ballet principal Chi Cao will star as Li in the movie." quote from Foyer Whispers

#23 innopac

innopac

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 12:58 AM

This is off topic but it broke my heart....

Beresford talking about his childhood:

"Well, I think I first fell in love with movies when I was only four or five. I got an 8mm camera when I was about 11 or 12 and I started making little films - comedies and little dramatic films with school friends. And I made literally dozens of these and I had a little editor and I used to make up all of these films. And one of the things that really split me up with the family was that I got home one day from school and I went into my room and all the film stuff was gone and my parents had thrown it out. They said, "You're spending too much time with that stuff, we got rid of it." I was devastated." quote from an interview on ABC TV

#24 Ostrich

Ostrich

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 09:04 AM

The director of the upcoming Li Cunxin has just published in Australia a children's book. The illustrated picture book is called The Peasant Prince. Perhaps in a few months it will be available in a U.S. edition?

I have just seen this book on my last visit to the bookshop - very well illustrated, I thought, and one of the few ballet books for young children around that will appeal to boys!

#25 JMcN

JMcN

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 03:03 AM

I've just come across this article which gives some interesting casting:

http://www.news.com....5003420,00.html

#26 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,533 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 11:46 AM

Beresford is one of those fine directors whose excellent but unshowy work doesn’t get the attention it deserves; often as not his actors and pictures win prizes but his work is sometimes overlooked. Breaker Morant is one of my favorite films, Driving Miss Daisy you all know about, and Black Robe is well worth checking out, a gripping movie on an unusual subject. He also did a good adaptation of Joyce Cary’s “Mister Johnson.”

#27 JMcN

JMcN

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 07:20 AM

Some more info and casting for the film:

http://www.fab.org.a...production-news

SMH article

#28 JMcN

JMcN

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 07:24 AM

Sorry - I can't get the second link to make sense. Here is the full URL:

http://www.smh.com.a...3788344468.html

#29 Memo

Memo

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:21 AM

It will make a great film. It's a beautiful piece of material. I loved the book and cant wait to see it as a film. :sweatingbullets:

#30 JMcN

JMcN

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 05:22 AM

Birmingham Royal Ballet have issued a press release about principal dancer Chi Cao starring as the adult Li in the film.

http://www.brb.org.uk/4433.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):