This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

There is a made for TV version. I believe it was made for German television.

I saw it years ago but have no idea where or if it is available.

I had the privilege of performing on stage with Haydee and Cragun in Cranko's R&J and I strongly concur that they were astounding.

When I was a scholarship student at Pa. Ballet School, Stuttgart Ballet came to town and used some of us to super in R & J. Then the next year when I moved to NYC, they were at the Met and I got to super in R & J and Swan Lake. My favorites where Haydee & Cragun. I used to stay at the wings even though we weren't supposed to, and watch. I actually wasn't tall enough for SL, but they let me do it anyway since they remembered me from Pa.Ballet. That was in the 70's and I don't think there has been a better R & J than theirs. The pas de deuxs were exquisite!

richard53dog,

I have a hunch Onegin is not easily available; I bought mine quite a while ago. Here's what I have; Put out by Home Vision only on VHS tape: "Onegin". On the cover is printed "THE WORLD OF DANCE #17", "RM Arts presents The National Ballet of Canada in John Cranko's production of Tchaikovsky's 'Onegin'". On the back: "Licensed worldwide by NVC ARTS INTERNATIONAL" The copyright is 1986. There's a toll free phone number for World Vision: 800 262 8600.

Giannina

richard53dog,

I have a hunch Onegin is not easily available; On the back: "Licensed worldwide by NVC ARTS INTERNATIONAL" The copyright is 1986. There's a toll free phone number for World Vision: 800 262 8600.

Giannina

Giannina,

I think your hunch is good; the World Vision TF# is disconnected. But maybe NVC ARTS might yield something. If I find something out, I'll report back.

But thanks none the less for digging out the tape. And I feel if something was released once, there is a chance it will come out a second time.

Richard

richard53dog,

I have a hunch Onegin is not easily available; On the back: "Licensed worldwide by NVC ARTS INTERNATIONAL" The copyright is 1986. There's a toll free phone number for World Vision: 800 262 8600.

Giannina

Giannina,

I think your hunch is good; the World Vision TF# is disconnected. But maybe NVC ARTS might yield something. If I find something out, I'll report back.

But thanks none the less for digging out the tape. And I feel if something was released once, there is a chance it will come out a second time.

Richard

Some clips of Onegin have now appeared on youtube:

Marcia Haydée and Jan Stripling (by John Cranko)

Onegin Ballet, on music by Tchaikovsky

Stuttgart Ballet

richard53dog,

I have a hunch Onegin is not easily available; I bought mine quite a while ago. Here's what I have; Put out by Home Vision only on VHS tape: "Onegin". On the cover is printed "THE WORLD OF DANCE #17", "RM Arts presents The National Ballet of Canada in John Cranko's production of Tchaikovsky's 'Onegin'". On the back: "Licensed worldwide by NVC ARTS INTERNATIONAL" The copyright is 1986. There's a toll free phone number for World Vision: 800 262 8600.

Giannina

Onegin was once released on VHS by National Ballet of Canada with Frank Augustin as Onegin. I have seen the copy of that and it was a very good performance. Augustin's acting was touching and his legs were beautiful. It is sad that it is no longer available...it should be on DVD.

There is a link on Amazon but it says currently unavailable.

http://www.amazon.com/Tchaikovskys-Onegin-.../dp/B000YBKLE0/

FYI: Boston Ballet is doing Cranko's R&J this February 2008. I guess they finally figured out it's a good ballet to do around Valentine's Day? And finally, after twenty+ years, I'll see it again. (Last time, was Joffrey in Los Angeles: very memorable, very dramatic, slightly more acrobatic than KM's for RB.)

Onegin was once released on VHS by National Ballet of Canada with Frank Augustin as Onegin. I have seen the copy of that and it was a very good performance. Augustin's acting was touching and his legs were beautiful. It is sad that it is no longer available...it should be on DVD.

This is strictly a matter of personal opinion, but I always thought of Augustyn as the weak point of that performance. At the beginning of his career he was a very beautiful dancer, but around age 30 his technique began to deteriorate, and by his mid-30s I always had the distinct impression that he was phoning in his performances. Canadian critics usually fudged around this by writing reviews along the lines of "sure, his dancing isn't what it used to be, but he's still a very good partner."

On the other hand, the performances of Sabina Allemann as Tatiana and Jeremy Ransom as Lensky are fantastic, and the video should definitely be re-issued on DVD.

To showcase Augustyn at his best, I wish the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation would dig into its archives and pull out its telecast of Ashton's La Fille mal gardée from the mid-1970s.

On the other hand, the performances of Sabina Allemann as Tatiana and Jeremy Ransom as Lensky are fantastic, and the video should definitely be re-issued on DVD.

To showcase Augustyn at his best, I wish the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation would dig into its archives and pull out its telecast of Ashton's La Fille mal gardée from the mid-1970s.

Sorry for my misspelling Augustyn.

I have not seen so much of his performances. And I agree that Sabina Allemann as Tatiana and Jeremy Ransom as Lensky was wonderful! Especially Ransom, his acting was great.

I wish I cpild see the La Fille mal gardée telecast one day.

Cragun and Haydee definitely made a film of "Romeo und Julia" for the ZDF who also filmed "Onegin". Egon Madsen is also involved in these films. The filming is excellent and given the paucity of Cranko available on the home DVD market, I think the ZDF could work on getting the rights for commercial distribution. I have also seen clips of the "Taming of the Shrew" with Cragun and Haydee on Makarova's "Ballerina" documentary. I am also practically sure that this was filmed as well.

http://www.zdf.com/

Historical cultural programs from German television have been released on Universal for example opera broadcasts from the Munich Opera with Fritz Wunderlich from the 1960's, so the licensing can be obtained. I can't see Haydée or Cragun blocking the release of these films.