This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Cuthbertson and Watson R+J

I really enjoyed it. Edward Watson impressed me especially - he has to be one of the most openly emotional, weepy Romeos I've ever seen! But in a good, heart-on-your-sleeve kind of way. He really seemed to me to be a young boy, completely unprepared for the rollercoaster emotions of falling in love, losing love, causing death. Not all the dancing came off perfectly and the pdds weren't incredibly smooth (but then I'm comparing to the incomparably smooth pdds of Guillem & Le Riche :blushing: ) but hopefully it's just a matter of more rehearsals and building strength and I absolutely do think he is deserving of the role. I would see him again in this ballet, no question. Lauren is a lovely Juliet, very refreshing and gave the sunniest act 1 I've seen. She was wonderful in the balcony scene - very swoony. :D Her style of acting everywhere else is more demure. She and Edward did seem perfect for their roles - young, eager, completely reckless. It will be interesting to see if they will have come any further in tonight's performance.

There were actually 4 debuts! Thiago Soares - who really could be the devil, with that moustache and goatee - as Tybalt, and Valeri Hristov as Paris. I have to admit even though Hristov has taken on quite a few soloist roles these last 2 seasons I hadn't really taken to him until Monday - he really looks like a potential leading man! I guess I'll have to pay more attention to his dancing now. ;)

Sylvie Guillem and Nicholas Le Riche's R&J were excellent I thought. Maybe their acting I'm not totally overwhelmed by (her acting for Juliet seems very minimalistic compared to her Manon, hardly a gesture spared), but their dancing in the pdds are so beautiful, so creamy smooth. Just the way Guillem extends her leg forward as Le Riche drags her back is so much better than anyone else, it's is enough to make me cry. I'll never understand the criticisms over her act 1 - she hasn't looked like a young girl for years and people are complaining now?

In contrast Mara Galeazzi's emotions are all over the place and you can't help but get caught up in her excitement of first love. Federico Bonelli I thought was terrific, probably the best Romeo in this run for me. He didn't seem so confident in his debut last November, but he has improved by leaps and bounds with every performance since. I really felt that he put a very strong, very romantic personal stamp on his character - his passion for everything, not just for Juliet, but for his friends, for life. Plus his dancing is incredible, no question mark there.

Alina Cojocaru's Juliet impressed me to no end - I found her a bit too sweet in previous runs but I became so absorbed in all the little details, all the little clues she gives to her character. I loved watching her restlessness after meeting Romeo for the first time and having to engage in conversation with the less desirable Paris. And the pdds with Bolle were spectacular - the height difference really helps I guess. I'm not sure about the two of them as a partnership though. Bolle dwarfs her, not just with his height but his broadness and as gorgeous as they are it just looks too weird.

I have to say I've had enough of R&J - I've seen way too many these last 2 weeks and I sure am glad it's been omitted from the schedule next season. And I missed Tamara Rojo in this run - she's still my number one Juliet. :)

I thought Cuthbertson and Watson were fab! From what I heard around me, people thought they were much improved from their first performance. My only criticism really is that their ppds looked a bit shaky but I'm sure that is a case of practice makes perfect! The best for me was the way they both came across as young lovers-something I find harder to imagine with Sylvie. I am really looking forward to seeing these two in other things. xx