This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Attended the Thursday night performance. Some interesting works; others not so interesting. The evening started with Kylian's jolting 27'52 (Netherlands Dance Theater II). My favorites were the filmed Kylian's Birth-Day, Henrique Rodavalho's Choreography for Listening (Quasar de Danca), and Lightfoot/Leon's Shutter Shut (NDT II). David Sonnenbluck's Lied Und Lieb was simple, yet elegant and classical. It was nice to see it among the lot of contempo works. It was performed to a recording of Richard Strauss's Beim Schlafengehen (Four Last Songs) sang by Jessye Norman, which made it all the better. Royal Ballet of Flanders performed Christopher d'Ambroise's Circle of Fifths and Royal Danish Ballet performed the pdd from Martin's Octet. The dullest pieces of the night had to have been Tim Rushton's Nomade (RDB- I really wasn't expecting something like this to come from a company of their calibre), Danny Rossell's Silent Night...Still We Dream (Maximum Dance Co.), and Susanna Leinonen's Trickle Green Oak (Finnish National Ballet), which closed the evening. Is it possible to sleep with your eyes open? I think I was.

I saw some familiar faces in the crowd, many people from Houston Ballet, including Caleb Mitchell, Nicholas Leschke, Zdenek Konvalina, Maina Gielgud, and Mireille Hassenboehler. The most interesting encounters were with Li Cunxin, who was signing books in the lobby, and with Bridgette Zehr, who happened to be sitting right next to me.