This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

i don't know if this is duplicating previous info. but it was news to me that THE TALES OF BEATRIX POTTER, w/ the royal ballet, by ashton, is now on DVD. very clean resolution as far as i can see in the copy i have.

it's letter-box so if one has a snazzy flat, narrow/horizontal screen i should imagine the picture is even more superb than on a reg. tv monitor.

i've just popped my copy in once more and seeing sir fred, as Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle, do his signature 'step' before popping indoors to do the ironing, is a treat indeed.

copies are available on amazon and i should think alexandra would be much obliged if all takers would pop onto amazon using the balletalert button before snagging a copy, which is being offered both new and used at fair prices.

needless to remark, yrs.trly. gets no commission for such suggestions.

I know that I am in a minority, but I think this film is an amazing and very beautiful thiing--the costumes are exquisite. There is a wonderful book by Rumer Godden (I believe, could be wrong) called A Tale of the Tales, which I have and highly recommend. It is out of print but occasionally available online through used book sources, or eBay.

The film is wonderful, the music charming, the ballet on stage less successful (although certainly enjoyable.)

indeed the working of the mice's tails into the waltz in question is quintessential ashton. and, in the book already mentioned here, 'THE TALE OF THE TALES,' there's an amusing picture of a rack of spare tails hanging around the filming site, just in case, i suppose, one of the mice gets carried away and yanks a mouse tail too hard in the frenzy of the waltz.

I did think the choreography in some sections was a bit repetitive and therefore not terribly interesting, but overall, I loved this film (I have it on VHS). There are lots of clever bits, and the scenery, sets and costumes are wonderful.

The movie was available on cable this month and so I saw it again. I'm afraid the novelty still wears off after an hour or so, the movie often doesn't bother telling the stories clearly, and although the costumes are charming in their detail they're clunky for dancing. But there are many delightful moments just the same. The mouse waltz is wonderful and very Ashtonian as rg notes, Alexander Grant and Brenda Last are delicious in the piggy pas de deux, and the Hunca Munca segment with Lesley Collier (such neat feet) and Wayne Sleep trashing the dollhouse is a minor classic. And of course very few films offer the spectacle of one of the world's great choreographers dressed as a hedgehog. I love Ashton's little dance and it's a pleasure just watching him pluck the laundry off the line.

I think the 2007 stage version is an improvement over the original(which I last saw years ago)- the story seems tighter and less rambling. The quality is lovely and crisp. Stephen McRae is really a fantastic Squirrel Nutkin. They have lost none of the charm of the original, but made it move faster. The Two Bad Mice and Jeremy Fisher are my favourite scenes - full of humour and so convincingly done, even on stage!