This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Gautier

At a local rummage sale this weekend I found a 1928 single volume edition of Theophile Gautier's fiction. I've only had time to skim, and so far it's charmingly florid -- is anyone here familiar with any of his work other than his dance writing?

I'd say that in France Gautier is better known as the author of the novels "Le Capitaine Fracasse" and "Le roman de la momie" than as a dance librettist and writer... Especially as several movies were made after "Le Capitaine Fracasse".

I was a kid when I had read both (and for "Le roman de la momie", it probably was an abridged version) so my memories are not very precise. The main character of "Le capitaine Fracasse" (which takes place in the 17th century) is the young baron of Sigognac, who lives poorly in a very old and dusty castle with his old domestic, his dog and his horse; one day a travelling group of actors comes to his castle for the night, and he decides to join us, taking the stage name of "Capitaine Fracasse", falls in love with a young actress, and I don't remember much of the rest except that there are some duels. ;)

"Le roman de la momie" is, I think, shorter; two archeologists discover the mummy of a young Egyptian woman, and a papyrus which explains her life (some of the characters of the story are Moses and pharaoh Ramses).

For the people who can read French, both novels are freely available online.