This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Mark Morris Sylvia

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 dufay

dufay

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 09:38 AM

Anyone heard anything about this? It will be performed when I'm in town at the end of April.

#2 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,407 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 11:06 AM

According to the SFB website:

A rich canvas for new interpretation, Sylvia delves into romantic coming-of-age themes amidst the otherworldly realm of forests, fantasy, and mythological beings.

http://www.sfballet....eason/program8/

#3 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 04:41 AM

"New interpretation"? Does anybody but me see the possibility of Sylvia's companions being danced by men in bunny slippers, housecoats and chenille snoods?

#4 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 06:08 AM

:D Careful it might happen! :green:

#5 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 06:51 PM

The buzz is, he loves the music and he's doing it "straight" --

It's been finished for a while, and though the press has not been allowed to see any of it, it's been shown to groups of family and friends. Reports are that it's going to be beautiful.

It's also said to be selling fast, and some shows are nearly sold out already. If you think you might be in town and want to see it, maybe it would be a good idea to start thinking about getting tickets.....

#6 Juliet

Juliet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 08:37 PM

I hope that we'll get reports on this--
I think it will be very interesting--(I am a Morris fan)

However, if one is thinking of curious woodland costumes, one cannot but recall the charming ensemble (a la Rocky of R & Bullwinkle fame) which was worn by Actaeon in the Lubovich Artemis for ABT last year.....the cunning little hood from which sprang forth perky little antlers......and the toilet-paper bedecked trousers of the stalwart huntsmen.....

I love Delibes and his orchestrations are so wonderful that one can always listen to the music if the costumes go awry......

#7 dufay

dufay

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 06:53 AM

I got my (single) ticket a while back, so I'm set, and I will give a report. Another ?- I could see the Smuin ballet on Fri nite. Sounds like it is a retrospective of "the best of...". Worth the price of admission?

#8 doug

doug

Bronze Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 11:12 PM

I'm going, too, and am excited. I'll report.

#9 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,742 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 11:20 AM

I wish I were going too.

An interesting sidelight -- a couple of years ago the Dance Critics Association screened the film of the Paris Opera Ballet reconstruction of Sylvia, and Morris was in the audience. He had already agreed to choreograph the work at that time, and I believe was interested in seeing the earlier version.

#10 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,407 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 09:24 AM

There is more info on the SFB website about Morris' Sylvia: Program Notes and Sylvia Comes to America.

Some quotes from the former:

Enthusing about the magnificence of Léo Delibes’ music, Morris explains that the stage directions from the original production have been written right into the manuscript score, and that he is choosing to follow them—“more or less.”

While he is preserving its essences, Morris says he has simplified some of the storyline, and for his SF Ballet staging has eliminated what he considers extraneous. “I want it to be clear and beautiful—not simple, but clear."

Also from the notes four dancers have been cast as Sylvia: Yuan Yuan Tan, Vanessa Zahorian, Megan Low, and Elizabeth Miner. Casting isn't up yet for this program, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Low.

A quote from the latter:

Choreographer Mark Morris has elected to follow the original scenario which was handed to Delibes while he was composing the score. “This music was written to order, as yardage,” Morris explains, “you know, ‘give me 16 bars to get the girls off,’ that’s there in the score.”

#11 dufay

dufay

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 08:40 AM

If anyone is going Sat night, I will be there, and I would be interested in meeting during intermission for animated discussions! I am there for a meeting, and taking full advantage of it (Fri nite- Smuin).

#12 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,407 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 10:13 AM

If anyone is going Sat night, I will be there, and I would be interested in meeting during intermission for animated discussions! I am there for a meeting, and taking full advantage of it (Fri nite- Smuin).

The first week of casting is posted to the SFB website.

This Saturday night the principal roles are:

Sylvia
Conductor: Andrew Mogrelia
Sylvia: Vanessa Zahorian*
Aminta: Joan Boada*
Orion : Peter Brandenhoff*
Diana: Lorena Feijoo*
Eros/Sorcerer: TBD

*=first time in role

I hope you have a wonderful time and post about it!

#13 art076

art076

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 01:16 PM

There's a really great article from the San Francisco Chronicle in the links section for today (Monday, April 26 - its the first story in the list), interviewing Morris and giving some background on "Sylvia." Read it if you get the chance - that photo of Morris included with the story is so very Morris, and the writer captured his exuberance perfectly (based on having seen him give one or two post-performance talks).

#14 dufay

dufay

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 04:36 AM

My review, now that I'm back in Philly. Well- a disappointment, frankly. The dancers were excellent- particularly enjoyed Pablo Piantino as Eros, Vanessa Zahorian gave it youthful dignity, Juan Boada was fine. However, it was just not that exciting. The second act slaves were quite funny, but the whole ballet did not have a sparkle for me. I'm curious to see what the SF Chronicle (or whatever the daily paper is) has to say, so link appreciated.
On the other hand- I went to the Smuin Ballet's 10th yr retrospective Friday (opening) night. I enjoyed it tremendously. Yes, there were some things over the top etc, but the youthful exuberance, athleticism, energy and creativity made for a very enjoyable evening.

#15 Globetrotter

Globetrotter

• PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 11:28 AM

I was at opening night of Sylvia and thought it was great. Maybe it was because I was expecting more typical Mark Morris (the sense of humor and wry wit) and got a straightforward, almost classical ballet instead. What I liked the most was the general absence of mime - Morris let the dancers dance. Yuan Yuan Tan was Sylvia on Friday and she danced with more animation than I've seen before. She's always so stoic on stage (Chi Lin is perfect for her), but she actually smiled and looked like she was having fun. Gonzalo Garcia was all youthful exuberance as the shepard Amnita. His dancing flowed and although quite bravura in places (3rd act especially) seemed natural and easy. Jamie Garcia (Eros), Yuri Possokhov (Orion) and Muriel Maffre (Diana) all performed expertly. I was especially surprised at Garcia, givne that he's a corps members in a critical role and had no difficulty at all holding his own. Not corps for long, I'd guess.

The sets and costumes were also great. I don't think it is possible to have three more different sets on stage in one evening: Pastoral to Subterranian to Olympic, but it worked.

The music was well-played but got raggedy here and there. A few funny entrances in the pit led to a few funny steps on the stage, but all in all the orchestra performed well. I liked that SF ballet sprung for the full orchestaration (extra Trombone, sax, etc.). It was well worth it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):