This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Manuel Legris et ses étoiles - Japan tour 2004

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 Estelle

Estelle

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 05:18 AM

Naoko: actually, when re-reading what I wrote, I realized that my sentences were badly expressed and ambiguous! Sorry! Now things are clearer (and actually, Balanchine fan that I am, I think I'd be happy about *any* new Balanchine work added to the repertory...)

I loved Liebeslieder Walzer, and regretted being able to see it only twice, as I think it takes some time for the dancers to get used to it. I especially enjoyed the pas de deux between Legris and Moussin. But it's a pity that it was in such an ill-suited program (after three modern works), and it might explain why it was received a bit tepidly: the contrast wasn't good, and some part of the audience probably came mostly to see the modern works (and on the other hand, I know some people who would have been interested in seeing it, but didn't attend because they didn't want to spend the price of a ticket to see only one classical ballet in the program). It would have made more sense to put it in a whole Balanchine program, for example. But I guess the programming was done also because of some material reasons (e.g. none of the works of that program needed a full orchestra, and also part of the company was busy with other programs). Anyway, I hope that they'll dance it again in upcoming seasons (but one is never sure with the POB... For example, I never understood why some works like Ashton's "Rhapsody", Robbins' "The Four Seasons" or De Mille's "Fall river legend" were never performed again after the first season they entered the repertory, and even a work like "Allegro Brillante" wasn't performed much after its first season. What a pity :wink: )

#17 Naoko S

Naoko S

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 01:12 PM

>>(and actually, Balanchine fan that I am, I think I'd be happy about *any* new Balanchine work added to the repertory...)

I totally, whole-heartedly agree with you on this. Interesting on another point you made - that often they do not restage some of the acquired works - hmmm I can only say that POB's programming has indeed looked peculiar at times.....

In any case one of the worst dissappointments for the next season, for me, is lack of Balanchine (only one is scheduled, I seem to remember? It's not enough!). This season POB's dancers showed off beautifully what they could do with Balanchine's works - personally I feel it wouldn't hurt any one if they continued the efforts...... what a shame!

#18 Estelle

Estelle

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 01:51 PM

In any case one of the worst dissappointments for the next season, for me, is lack of Balanchine (only one is scheduled, I seem to remember? It's not enough!).  This season POB's dancers showed off beautifully what they could do with Balanchine's works - personally I feel it wouldn't hurt any one if they continued the efforts...... what a shame!

Yes, the only Balanchine work of the season will be performed by the POB school ("Le tombeau de Couperin"). I find this disappointing, and more generally the lack of classical works in the next season, all the new works in the repertory will be modern ones. I do enjoy some modern works in the POB's repertory, but it's sad to see that so much of the company's repertory is being neglected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):