This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

alas there seem to be few other multi-act ballets w/ maximova and vasiliev on video, however the following represents what i've been able to locate, all of it, beyond ANYUTA, is in the form of excerpts.

Anyuta / Gosteleradio USSR ; script and direction by Alexander Belinsky ; choreography by Vladimir Vasiliev ; music by Valery Gavrilin.

W. Long Branch, N.J. : Kultur, 1982.

(68 min.) : sd., col.

Soviet television production by Gosteleradio USSR.

Ekaterina Maximova (Anyuta), Vladimir Vasiliev (Ofets Anioti), Gali Abaidulov (Modest Alexeyev), Dzon [John] Markovsky (Student) and members of the Bolshoi, Kirov and Maly Ballet Companies.

Libretto based on Anton Chekhov's Anna round the neck ; camera, H. Maradzhyan.

Ballet adaptation of the story of a young woman forced to marry a rich but indifferent husband. Eventually she attracts many admirers, but despite her happiness she cannot forget the young student whom she once loved, or her poor father and little brothers who watch her from afar.

Credits in Russian.

The magic of the Bolshoi Ballet: Past and present / produced by Gostelradio Soviet TV for The Entertainment Video Co., London ; conceived for video by Christopher Peers.

Kultur, 1987.

(58 min.) : sd., col. with b&w sequences

Notes: Danced by the Bolshoi Ballet.

Ballet consultants, Mary Clarke and Clement Crisp.

The sleeping beauty [excerpts] / choreography, Marius Petipa ; music, Tchaikovsky ; Garland waltz, Act I, ca. 1970 ; Bluebird pas de deux [opening and female variation], Act III, danced by Ludmilla Semenyaka and Aleksandr Vetrov, ca. 1970 ; Adagio [from the grand pas de deux], Act III, beginning danced by Maya Plisetskaya and Nikolai Fadeyechev, ca. 1960, ending danced by Ekaterina Maximova and Vladimir Vasiliev, ca. 1970 ; Aurora's variation, Act III, danced by Raissa Struchkova, ca. 1960; Finale, Act III, danced by Ekaterina Maximova and Vladimir Vasiliev, ca. 1970.

Giselle: Act I excerpt / choreography, Jules Perrot and Marius Petipa ; music, Adolphe Adam ; danced by Galina Ulanova and Nikolai Fadeyechev, ca. 1950.

Moszkowski waltz / choreography, Asaf Messerer ; music, Moritz Moszkowski ; danced by Olga Lepeshinskaya and Petr Gusev, 1940.

Cinderella: Act II variation / choreography, Rostislav Zakharov ; music, Sergei Prokofiev ; danced by Raissa Struchkova, ca. 1960.

Swan lake: Act II, Odette's variation / choreography, Lev Ivanov ; music, Tchaikovsky ; danced by Marina Semyonova ; followed by brief footage of Semyonova teaching ca. 1987 and coaching Maya Plisetskaya and Nikolai Fadeyechev, ca. 1960.

The red poppy: Tai Hoa's variation / choreography, Leonid Lavrovski ; music, Reinhold Glière ; danced by Galina Ulanova, ca. 1950.

Laurencia: variation / choreography, Vakhtang Chabukiani ; music, Alexander Krein ; danced by Maya Plisetskaya, ca. 1960.

Romeo and Juliet [excerpts] / choreography, Leonid Lavrovski ; music, Prokofiev ; Juliet and her nurse, Act I, danced by Ekaterina Maximova, ca. 1970 ; Cushion dance, Act I, ca. 1970 ; duet of Juliet and Paris, Act I, danced by Natalia Bessmertnova and Vladimir Romanenko, ca. 1970 ; Juliet's variation at the ball, Act I, danced by Maya Plisetskaya, ca. 1960 ; meeting of Romeo and Juliet, Act I, danced by Galina Ulanova and Mikhail Gabovich, ca. 1950 ; bedroom pas de deux, Act III, danced by Natalia Bessmertnova and Mikhail Lavrovski, ca. 1970.

Asaf Messerer gala, 1983 (variations danced onstage in practice clothes, following brief footage of Messerer teaching): Giselle: Act I variation / danced by Alla Mikhalchenko -- Coppélia: variation / choreography, Aleksandr Gorski ; danced by Andris Liepa -- Swan lake: Act III, Odette's variation / danced by Ludmilla Semenyaka -- Le corsaire: variation / choreography, after Marius Petipa ; music, Riccardo Drigo ; danced by Aleksandr Vetrov -- Don Quixote: Kitri's variation / choreography, Gorski ; music, Minkus ; danced by Nina Ananiashvili -- Swan lake: Act III, Siegfried's variation / choreography, after Petipa ; music, Tchaikovsky ; danced by Yuri Vasyuchenko -- The sleeping beauty: Act II [excerpts] / Aurora's vision scene solo, danced by Nina Timofeyeva ; the Prince's entrée (choreography, Yuri Grigorovich), danced by Vladimir Vasiliev -- The sleeping beauty: Act III, Aurora's variation, danced by Ekaterina Maximova -- Film clip of an unidentified variation / music, Drigo ; danced by Asaf Messerer, ca. 1930.

Don Quixote [excerpts] / choreography, Aleksandr Gorski and Rostislav Zakharov ; music, Ludwig Minkus ; Act I, general scene with Nina Ananiashvili as Kitri, ca. 1980 ; Kitri's variation, Act I, danced by Maya Plisetskaya, ca. 1960 ; entrée and adagio of grand pas de deux, Act III, danced by Nadezhda Pavlova and Vyacheslav Gordeyev, ca. 1980 ; variations and coda of grand pas de deux, Act III, danced by Ekaterina Maximova and Vladimir Vasiliev, ca. 1970.

Selection of film and videotape footage of Bolshoi Ballet performances dating from the 1940s to the 1980s.

Russian ballet, the glorious tradition. Volume two / Telecompany Ostankino [and] Val G. Productions, Ltd.

Video Artists International, c1993, 1914-1988.

(71 min.) : sd., col. and b&w

Russian ballet, the glorious tradition ; 2.

Notes: The dying swan (b&w) / recorded in 1914 ; choreography, Michel Fokine ; music, Camille Saint-Saëns ; danced by Vera Karalli.

Classical variation (b&w) / recorded in 1944 ; choreography, Aleksandr Gorski ; music, Riccardo Drigo ; danced by Marina Semenova.

Swan lake: Act II, Odette's variation (b&w) / recorded in 1940 ; choreography, Lev Ivanov ; music, Peter Ilich Tchaikovsky ; danced by Marina Semenova, with ensemble.

La bayadère: pas de deux (b&w) / recorded in 1940 ; choreography, Marius Petipa ; music, L. Minkus ; danced by Natalia Dudinskaya and Vakhtang Chabukiani, with ensemble.

Romeo and Juliet: bedroom pas de deux (col.) / recorded in 1951 ; choreography, Leonid Lavrovski ; music, Sergey Prokofiev ; danced by Galina Ulanova and Mikhail Gabovich.

Harlequinade: pas de deux (b&w) / recorded in 1974 ; choreography, Marius Petipa ; music, Riccardo Drigo ; danced by Ninel Kurgapkina and Nikolai Kovmir.

Swan lake: Act II pas de deux (col.) / recorded in 1974 ; choreography, Lev Ivanov ; music, Peter Ilich Tchaikovsky ; danced by Maya Plisetskaya and Valery Kovtun, with ensemble.

Swan lake: Act III pas de deux (col.) / recorded in 1974 ; choreography, Marius Petipa ; music, Peter Ilich Tchaikovsky ; danced by Maya Plisetskaya and Valery Kovtun, with ensemble.

Walpurgis night (col.) / recorded in 1978 ; choreography, Leonid Lavrovsky ; music, Charles Gounod ; danced by Ekaterina Maximova, Stanislav Vlasov, and Shamil Yagudin, with ensemble.

Melody (col.) / recorded in 1971 ; choreography, Kasian Goleizovski ; music, Antonín Dvorák ; danced by Natalia Bessmertnova and Aleksandr Lavreniuk.

The sleeping beauty: Act III, grand pas de deux (col.) / recorded in 1988 ; choreography, Marius Petipa ; music, Peter Ilich Tchaikovsky ; danced by Ludmila Semenyaka and Vyacheslav Gordeev, with ensemble.

Don Quixote: Act III, pas de deux (col.) / recorded in 1973 ; choreography, Marius Petipa ; music, L. Minkus ; danced by Ekaterina Maximova and Vladimir Vasiliev, with ensemble.

Excerpts of stage and film performances, recorded at various locations between 1914 and 1988.

Anthology of excerpts from ballets by Russian choreographers, performed by Russian dancers.

The glory of the Bolshoi / NVC Arts in association with M.P. "MIRIS," St. Petersburg ; produced by Julia Matheson and Carl Simons.

Warner Music Vision, c1995.

(90 min.) : sd., b&w and col.

Executive producer, John Kelleher.

Danced by the Bolshoi Ballet.

Compilation of dance excerpts from films, television and stage performances.

Les sylphides: Waltz (1952 ; ca. 3 min. ; col.) / choreography, Michel Fokine ; music, Chopin ; danced by Galina Ulanova and Vladimir Preobrazhensky.

Moment musical: pas de deux (1913 ; ca. 6 min. ; b&w) / choreography, unknown ; music, Schubert ; danced by Ekaterina Geltzer and Vasili Tikhomirov.

Moszkowski waltz (1940 ; ca. 3 min. ; b&w) / choreography, Vasili Vainonen ; music, Moritz Moszkowski ; danced by Olga Lepeshinskaya and Pyotr Gusev.

Swan lake: white swan pas de deux (1946 ; ca. 5 min. ; b&w) / choreography, Lev Ivanov ; music, Tchaikovsky ; danced by Marina Semenova and Yuri Kondratov.

Swan lake: black swan pas de deux (excerpts) (1947 ; ca. 3 min. ; b&w) / choreography, Marius Petipa ; music, Tchaikovsky ; danced by Maya Plisetskaya. Entrée and Odile's variation, recorded onstage at her debut performance.

Ribbon dance (1940 ; ca. 2 min. ; b&w) / choreography, Asaf Messerer and Lev Lashchulin ; music, Glière ; danced by Asaf Messerer.

Boston waltz, from the film Nastenka Ustinova (1934 ; ca. 4 min. ; b&w) / choreography and music, unknown ; danced by Marina Semenova.

The nutcracker: pas de trois (1953 ; ca. 1 min. ; b&w) / choreography, Vasili Vainonen ; music, Tchaikovsky ; danced by Alla Mankevich, Ekaterina Maximova, Vladimir Vasiliev. Studio performance by dancers then in their teens ; voiceover in Russian.

The nutcracker: Sugar Plum Fairy solo (1958 ; ca. 2 min. ; b&w) / choreography, Lev Ivanov ; music, Tchaikovsky ; danced by Ekaterina Maximova.

Selection of solos [from] Le corsaire, Laurencia, Don Quixote (1960s ; ca. 4 min. total ; b&w) / choreography, Marius Petipa (Le corsaire, Don Quixote), Vakhtang Chabukiani (Laurencia) ; music, Drigo (Le corsaire), Krein (Laurencia), Minkus (Don Quixote) ; danced by Ekaterina Maximova and Vladimir Vasiliev. Includes: male variation from Le corsaire -- male variation from Laurencia -- Kitri's variation from Don Quixote, Act I -- male variation from grand pas de deux, Don Quixote -- female variation from grand pas de deux, Don Quixote.

Spartacus (excerpts) (1968, 1984 ; ca. 21 min. total ; col. and b&w) / choreography, Yuri Grigorovich ; music, Khachaturian ; 1968 premiere performance danced by Ekaterina Maximova, Maris Liepa, Vladimir Vasiliev ; 1984 performance danced by Natalia Bessmertnova, Mikhail Gabovich, Irek Mukhamedov. Alternating footage from the two performances.

Shuraleh: pas de deux (1955 ; ca. 4 min. ; b&w) / choreography, Leonid Yakobson ; music, Farid Yarullin ; danced by Maya Plisetskaya and Yuri Kondratov.

Etude (1951 ; ca. 2 min. ; b&w) / choreography, unknown ; music, Schumann ; danced by Galina Ulanova and Yuri Kondratov.

The fountain of Bakchiserai (excerpts) (1953 ; ca. 11 min. ; col.) / choreography, Rostislav Zakharov ; music, Boris Asafiev ; danced by Galina Ulanova (Maria), Yuri Zhdanov (Vaclav), Maya Plisetskaya (Zarema), Pyotr Gusev (Khan Girei).

The flames of Paris: pas de deux (1953 ; ca. 4 min. ; col.) / choreography, Vasili Vainonen ; music, Boris Asafiev ; danced by Musa Gottlieb, Vakhtang Chabukiani.

Ravel waltzes (1964 ; ca. 4 min. ; col.) / choreography, Leonid Lavrovsky ; music, Ravel ; danced by Natalia Bessmertnova, Mikhail Lavrovsky.

Paganini (excerpt) (1964 ; ca. 2 min. ; col.) / choreography, Leonid Lavrovsky ; music, Rachmaninov ; danced by Ekaterina Maximova, Yaroslav Sekh.

The little humpbacked horse (1964 ; ca. 9 min. ; col.) / choreography, Aleksandr Radunsky ; music, Shchedrin ; danced by Maya Plisetskaya, Vladimir Vasiliev.

Dear MakarovaFan, My most treasured video - you know the kind of stuff you would grab first if the house was in flames - is a video of Maximova-Vasiliev in act 2 of Giselle. Try your very best to get hold of that one! Magnificent stuff indeed. I took it from the TV so mine is not a bought tape. It is so beautiful I get tears in my eyes every time I see it. I agree with you, one could just fall in love with Vasiliev, he is the most perfect Albrecht I have ever seen... And Maximova is a dream come true. :unsure::wink:

have you tried amazon?

otherwise video artists international might have a site, i'm not too sure.

maybe others have tips here.

or the kultur tapes from kultur's site.

sad to say when these things pass their first year or so of distribution they sometimes disappear from the lists.

Pamela,

Wow - you have video of Vasiliev and Maximova dancing Act II of GISELLE?! It must be gorgeous. Years ago I was watching a ballet documentary and saw a clip of them dancing from Act I and they were breath-taking. The film looked like it was made in the '70's. Talk about two hearts beating as one!

The New York Public Library has an extensive video dance collection, so I'll try my luck there.

Melissa