This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Red Haired Ballerinas

I am shamelessly copying Marga's thread, but I thought it would be interesting :D . Now, if there seems to be few blonde ballerinas, I'd say there is even less red- haired ballerinas! Being rather ginger-haired myself :D , I would like to know, have there been ANY red haired ballerinas? Besides Moira Shearer, of course :grinning: . I think Moira Shearer's fame, both in movies and ballet, was partly based on her ragingly red hair. Even in everyday life redheads are very scarce. So, any red haired ballet dancers you can think of?

PNB's stunning Stacy Lowenberg, a corps member who has danced soloist roles, is the Northwest's Victoria Page.

Had the edgy hard rockin' AD James Canfield not left OBT, I'm sure I would also have been able to supply you with a list of dancers with orange, blue and purple tresses.

Now we're stuck with this fuddy-duddy Stowell and his boring classicism.

With a wink,

Watermill

Nothing wrong with one idea leading to another, Lovebird! The thought came to me, too, especially while watching the Mayerling which sparked my blond(e) thread idea. With flaming Lucille Ball-hair, Leslie Collier of the Royal Ballet made a striking statement in that video. Was she always a redhead?

Very interesting; as I'm also red-haired, I often wondered the same thing.

In POB, Elizabeth Maurin (Etoile) is a kind of red-haired (she is, but has changed her hair color sometimes) and Fanny Fiat, still a sujet but a really promising ballerina, is also red-haired.

I think Katita Waldo of SFB also qualifies.

Moira Shearer certainly created a striking visual image with that red head, especially in the almost cartoonishly vivid Technicolor of the Forties and Fifties, but her fame wasn't based upon her hair, although that and The Red Shoes are probably the first things that spring to mind when her name is mentioned. In Striking a Balance, she told Barbara Newman that critics often singled her out for her coloring because they felt it wasn't right for certain parts.

I also remember a passage from "Secret Muses" by Julie Kavanagh, in which it's noted that certain company members were wont to refer to Shearer's Cinderella as "Gingerella."

Nothing wrong with one idea leading to another, Lovebird! The thought came to me, too, especially while watching the Mayerling which sparked my blond(e) thread idea. With flaming Lucille Ball-hair, Leslie Collier of the Royal Ballet made a striking statement in that video. Was she always a redhead?

Lesley Collier is a brunette. Elvira Tarasova of the Kirov has auburn hair, and so did Dame Merle Park.

I don't think Thesmar, Sumner, or Pascal are red haired in the way that I mean, they are more strawberry blonde, very different from the carrot, tomato, flame color that Shearer or Fiat have. Also, hair does look different when it's in a bun, it tends to look darker. Wasn't Guillem red-haired? Hold it, Natalia Sologub from the Kirov has really red hair, it really stands out on stage, thats the red I'm talking about.