The Passion of the Christmovie

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#16 Brendan McCarthy

Brendan McCarthy

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 07:59 AM

I was surprised by how unmoved I was by the violence in Gibson's film. While my intention was to view it "through eyes of faith", I thought the film missed the emotional and spiritual heart of the Passion.

That said, even bad - or indifferent - art can offer material for spiritual reflection. It was a useful reminder that the Cross is not a logo and that the Crucifixion was a brutal and ugly affair. I watched the film in Holy Week and it did add depths to my Good Friday thoughts on the trauma felt by Mary and the disciples in the hours afterwards - and to my reflection on the possibility that "this was all there was".

I did think there was a basis for the charges of anti-semitism - an over-enthusiastic evocation of the authority of the high priests and - in particular a scene in which two young children turn out to be demons. Jewish critics can reasonably claim to be more sensitive to antisemitic nuances than non Jewish observers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):