This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Tales of Texas Preview

Old Fashioned,

There is a great article in the Chronicle today about Tales. There are interviews with Stanton Welch, and ?? Pierce, the fellow who wrote the score for the piece entitled Pecos.

I read it online, but I think it appears in the Zest section. I think it will be very interesting, and lots of fun.

Have a great spring break!

mc

Casting is now up. I found out I'll be back in town next Friday, so hopefully I can catch it that weekend!

BIG SKY

March 11, 13, 19, 21

1st pas de deux Julie Gumbinner

Lucas Priolo

2nd pas de deux Barbara Bears

Simon Ball

3rd pas de deux Mireille Hassenboehler

Andrew Murphy

Carl Coomer, Ilya Kozadayev, Ian Casady, Randy Herrera, Tyann Clement, Kim Wagman, Frances Perez-Ball, Cleopatra Williams, Kristina Harper, Lisa Kaczmarek, Nicholas Leschke, Caleb Mitchell

March 14

1st pas de deux Sara Webb

Zdenek Konvalina

2nd pas de deux Julie Gumbinner

Nicholas Leschke

3rd pas de deux Tyann Clement

Ian Casady

Carl Coomer, Firat Kazbek Özsoy, Peter Gleeson, Oliver Halkowich, Sharon Teague, Kim Wagman, Frances Perez-Ball, Cleopatra Williams, Kristina Harper, Lisa Kaczmarek, James Gotesky, Caleb Mitchell

March 20

1st pas de deux Leticia Oliveira

Carl Coomer

2nd pas de deux Mireille Hassenboehler

Andrew Murphy

3rd pas de deux Kelly Myernick

Caleb Mitchell

Chavo Killingsworth, Ilya Kozadayev, Ian Casady, Randy Herrera, Tyann Clement, Kim Wagman, Frances Perez-Ball, Cleopatra Williams, Kristina Harper, Lisa Kaczmarek, James Gotesky, Travis Bradley

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CLINE TIME

March 11, 13, 20, 21

Walkin' After Midnight Lauren Anderson

Why Can't He Be You Julie Gumbinner

Nicholas Leschke

Crazy Barbara Bears

Too Many Secrets Andrew Murphy

Tyann Clement

Kim Wagman

Leticia Oliveira

Frances Perez-Ball

Sweet Dreams (of You) Sara Webb

Ian Casady

Stop, Look and Listen Ilya Kozadayev

Just a Closer Mireille Hassenboehler

Walk with Thee Simon Ball

Jaquel Charlesworth, Ingrid Zweifel, Kelly Myernick, Cleopatra Williams, Carl Coomer, Peter Gleeson, Lucas Priolo, Randy Herrera, Oliver Halkowich, Caleb Mitchell

March 14

Walkin' After Midnight Leticia Oliveira

Why Can't He Be You Tyann Clement

Phillip Broomhead

Crazy Kim Wagman

Too Many Secrets Peter Gleeson

Sharon Teague

Susan Bryant

Ingrid Zweifel

Frances Perez-Ball

Sweet Dreams (of You) Laura Richards

Randy Herrera

Stop, Look and Listen Oliver Halkowich

Just a Closer Lisa Kaczmarek

Walk with Thee Lucas Priolo

Clare Miklaunus, Kristina Harper, Michelle Carpenter, Anne Harshbarger, Chavo Killingsworth, Barry Kerollis, James Gotesky, Alexander Pandiscio, Firat Kazbek Özsoy, Travis Bradley

March 19

Walkin' After Midnight Kelly Myernick

Why Can't He Be You Tyann Clement

Phillip Broomhead

Crazy Frances Perez-Ball

Too Many Secrets Peter Gleeson

Sharon Teague

Susan Bryant

Ingrid Zweifel

Frances Perez-Ball

Sweet Dreams (of You) Laura Richards

Carl Coomer

Stop, Look and Listen Randy Herrera

Just a Closer Lisa Kaczmarek

Walk with Thee Lucas Priolo

Clare Miklaunus, Kristina Harper, Michelle Carpenter, Anne Harshbarger, Chavo Killingsworth, Barry Kerollis, James Gotesky, Alexander Pandiscio, Firat Kazbek Özsoy, Travis Bradley

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PECOS

March 11, 13, 14, 20

Pecos Bill Ian Casady

Slue-foot Sue Mireille Hassenboehler

Widow Maker Nicholas Leschke

Coyote Mother Lauren Anderson

Coyote Pups Ilya Kozadayev

Firat Kazbek Özsoy

Leticia Oliveira

Frances Perez-Ball

Mortician Phillip Broomhead

Pecos Bill's Mother Kim Wagman

Snake Oil Salesman Oliver Halkowich

Ranchers, Cowboys, Steer, Horses, and Townspeople

Artists of Houston Ballet and Academy Students

March 19, 21

Pecos Bill Simon Ball

Slue-foot Sue Barbara Bears

Widow Maker Andrew Murphy

Coyote Mother Julie Gumbinner

Coyote Pups Ilya Kozadayev

Oliver Halkowich

Ingrid Zweifel

Frances Perez-Ball

Mortician Nicholas Leschke

Pecos Bill's Mother Kristina Harper

Snake Oil Salesman Zdenek Konvalina

Ranchers, Cowboys, Steer, Horses, and Townspeople

Artists of Houston Ballet and Academy Students

Old Fashioned,

Thanks for posting the cast list. I do have tickets for Sunday afternoon. My daughter and I have invited a dance friend and her mom to join us.

I was hoping to catch a review in the Chronicle, but have not spotted one. Please let me know what you think if you get to go before me.

I am very intrigued with this performance. My daughter does not want to dress in western wear as encouraged in last week's Chronicle article! As I do not really own any western wear, I doubt that I will, either.

mc

The Tales of Texas was a lot of fun. Clearly it is very different, but everyone in our group loved it. Our favorite was the part set to Patsy Cline's songs. It was very colorful and quite clever.

The music was wonderful. The first part is set to music by Aaron Copeland. It was just beautiful.

If you're looking for something traditional, this would not be it!

I saw that last week - good, overall, but slightly erratic. I think Stanton Welch is MUCH better at fast pieces than serious ones, judging by the admittedly limited work that I've seen. His second and third ballets were very, very amusing, but his first, although it had its nice parts, honestly seemed too long. There aren't that many choreographers who are too talented at making interesting long adagios, and sadly, I don't think that Welch is one of them. The pas de deux were very nicely done, only they would have been much better had they not been done one after another!