This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

PABallet's '04-'05 season

Just opened today's Philly Inquirer and saw the announcement of PABallet's season for 2004-2005! It is a wonderful mix of repertory as well as Ashton's "La Fille".....hope someone will put a link to this article. I am particularly excited that they will be doing Robbin's "The Concert" for the first time and Wheeldon's "Continuum" :clapping:

It does sound exciting. Here's the link to the Inquirer.

Pennsylvania Ballet's 2004-05 Season

George Balanchine's Ballo della Regina, Agon and Slaughter on Tenth Avenue, Nov. 3-7 at the Academy of Music.

Balanchine's The Nutcracker, Dec. 11-Jan. 2 at the Academy of Music.

Twyla Tharp's Nine Sinatra Songs, Peter Martins' The Waltz Project, and another work to be announced, Feb. 2-6 at the Merriam Theater

Sir Frederick Ashton's La Fille mal gardée, March 4-12, 2005, at the Academy of Music.

Jerome Robbins' The Concert, Christopher Wheeldon's Continuum, and a third work to be announced, April 27-May 1, 2005, at the Merriam Theater.

John Cranko's Romeo and Juliet, June 2-12, 2005, at the Academy of Music.

Wow! I'm so excited for next season! La Fille, Ballo & The Concert are definitely company premieres, as (I think) are the Tharp and Wheeldon pieces. I'm really pleased that the Robbins Trust in particular has been giving Pennsylvania Ballet the rights to more pieces in the past few years; his works deserve to be seen outside NYC! :) The only piece on this schedule that I'm not overly excited about is The Waltz Project...but I can live with that! :)

It looks great and I hope to be able to see them more often next year than I am managing to see this year. BUT surely they aren't producing a new Swan Lake just to put in moth balls... As I have been told in umpteen marketing calls, it's costing them a million and ahalf $ (and unfortunately I won't be in the country the first half of June).

GWTW........ Yes, I was a little surprised that the new Wheeldon Swan Lake was not included in next year's season. However, I have been told that the production sets are being made for touring....maybe you will be able to catch it out of town? :grinning: I was also wondering why the first program is scheduled in November. Usually, PABallet begins peforming earlier in October. :shrug:

Just from observation, I don't think Philly ballet audiences like seeing the same ballets even every other year- I've heard other ballet-goers complain about Midsummer Night's Dream, Taming of the Shrew & Romeo & Juliet (just to name a few) being performed too much and those are never performed two years in a row. The subscribers would probably revolt if "forced" to see Swan Lake two years in a row. People don't seem to understand the huge cost of these productions...

On a different topic, perhaps the company isn't starting till November next year so they can take Swan Lake on tour somewhere in October? That would be exciting!