21 replies to this topic

#16 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,840 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 04:43 PM

sandik, you are correct, it was Debbie Allen. I was confusing the two of them.

Actually, Murray's been doing nominatable work for years now, IMO Groundhog Day and Rushmore are the two that spring to mind he just hasn't gotten the nod before. I'm sure he'll have other good roles but they may not be in the kind of movies to which the Academy generally pays attention.

Giannina, it was nice to see Penn win, but I must confess I thought Tim Robbins' performance in Mystic River was several pounds' worth of boiled ham. It wasn't all his fault the overwrought dialogue didn't help but he's done a lot better, I think. Kevin Bacon was great, and completely overlooked probably because he wasn't Acting with a capital A.

#17 scoop

scoop

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 09:33 PM

Bill Murray was heartbreaking in "Lost in Translation" -- I can't remember when I was so moved by a performance. It was sort of sad how the camera remained on him after Sean Penn won -- he looked truly devastated. Broke my heart a second time! I guess I admire, though, that he didn't put on some fake smile and clap heartily in that faux generous way nominees often do.

That said, and without even having seen Mystic River, I was happy for Sean Penn. I've always loved his work and thought his speech was both authentic -- he managed to get his politics in but briefly and rather wittily -- and elegant. You really sensed how seriously he takes his work, and how much he admires his colleagues.

#18 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,840 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 10:52 AM

scoop, you're a nicer person than I am. I rather enjoy the sadistic closeups of the losers, although not always. I still recall Michael Caine's crushed expression from last year after Adrien Brody's name was announced he's never won as Best Actor, and you could tell he was in bad shape.

What I thought was really nasty was Billy Crystal addressing Murray from the stage after Murray lost. Talk about rubbing salt in the wound.

#19 Funny Face

Funny Face

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 08:18 PM

I, too, was rather curious about why Crystal did that.

As to Murray finally "taking the plunge," let's not forget his turn in "The Razor's Edge" many years ago with Bess Armstrong. It may not have been critically acclaimed, but he showed great promise and daring back then. Also, I thought he was brilliant in "Groundhog Day," a deceptively profound movie. I give him kudos for being one of the few alums of SNL who has not focused solely on silly cookie cutter slapstick block busters. Stay the course, Bill. We want to see more of you.

As to Penn's speech, I'm almost sorry he was subdued. I guess once you have a few kids, you have to reign it in for their sake. It was almost as if he'd been given Thorazine.

As to the way the ladies looked, I'm surprised at the minimal lack of comment about Zeta-Jones. Only a dancer could walk the way she did down the steps to that podium to present an award. I'm not talking about how I feel about her personally one way or another. But there wasn't a woman in the building who could hold a candle to her that night when it came to drop dead gorgeous. Fantastic figure (neither zoftig, nor emaciated) in a fantastic dress, with a world class walk. That face and the rest of the package was reminiscent of some of the great beauties of Hollywood: Natalie Wood, Hedy Lemarr, Gene Tierney, etc.

#20 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,840 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 10:03 AM

I'd bet a large sum of money that Crystal is furiously jealous that Bill is getting Oscar nominations and doesn't have to appear in hideous sequels like "Analyze That." I think the wisest thing would be for Murray to search out a role that requires lots of yelling and crying. That ought to do it for him. :)

Zeta-Jones is a true dish. You're right, there are very few stars these days with that old-time glamour, and she's one of them. I enjoy that aura of "Yes, I'm gorgeous, I'm a movie star, I'm the center of attention, and I just love it!" that she emanates.

#21 scoop

scoop

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 10:36 AM

Zeta-Jones is totally glam -- I love how when she first married Michael Douglas she instantly and unapologetically embraced her ascension into the ranks of Hollywood royalty, even though she'd hardly made any movies at that point. It was amazing how during last year's Oscars she was hugely pregnant yet still managed to look like the cover of one of those '40s-era fan magazines. I almost don't recognize her in those cell phone ads she does -- the jeans and the tank top totally disguise her.

#22 Funny Face

Funny Face

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 07:25 AM

I had previously seen her in the tv version of "Titanic" with George C. Scott, and she was a pretty girl, but has grown into quite the beauty. However, when I mentioned I'm not speaking one way or another about my personal take on her, I just have to jump off topic for two seconds to say that I think her husband's first wife was the classiest act, and a truly incredible beauty -- Diandra Douglas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):