This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Sleeping Beauty

rebekah

Hi Everyone, Sleeping Beauty began last night and I wondered if anyone saw it? I went to the rehearsal earlier in the day with Roberta Marquez as Aurora and David Makateli as the Prince. The production has changed in a few places from last season-thankfully Cupid has been removed from a couple of his scene (most noteably when the Prince falls in love with Aurora's vision)

Also the changover from the Vision to the Castle had altered in Act 2. Now instead of nothing much happening over the music, and the crows flying past, the Lilac Fairy shows the Prince the way, and Cupid takes him there on a carriage. (Except in the rehearsal the carriage hurtled into the backdrop.)

Overall though it was looking pretty good and Roberta Marquez's Rose Adagio was stunning-not a hint of a wobble anywhere. I was impressed. Also worth a mention is Lauren Cuthbertson who was The Lilac Fairy. I think she has come on so much, and would love to see her promoted this summer.

I've started a thread for any ideas/preferences for promotions? Would love to hear what you think xx

Sorry Juliet I don't think I was very clear-the crows were from before, they've gone. I think they were a backdrop that was pulled across the stage, but they looked like fish to me!

Don't worry though, Cupid and the carriage aren't as bad as they sound! (Though I would have been happy if they'd axed Cupid totally!) Anya xx

Well personally I think the Cupid is JUST as bad as it sounds - worse, in fact: the end of Act 1 - no forest grows, the Cupid draws a curtain across the stage and then turns to the audience to say 'Sshh' makes me almost speechless with rage.

However the first night was overshadowed by Johan Kobborg damaging his ankle very early on and having to be replaced by Federico Bonelli, who apparently just happened to be watching from the wings - tough luck on all, especially Cojocaru who had to do the last 2 acts with someone she'd never rehearsed with.

Now instead of nothing much happening over the music, and the crows flying past, the Lilac Fairy shows the Prince the way, and Cupid takes him there on a carriage. (Except in the rehearsal the carriage hurtled into the backdrop.)

I think because Cupid was driving :blushing:

Seriously though Cupid irritates the heck out of me too - that his role has been so much reduced makes it so obvious how unneccessary he is. The changes to Act II are such an improvement over the disaster it was last year (empty stage during the Panorama, curtains that got stuck half-way, the fact that only half the audience could see the bed it was so far off on the side). I liked how they extended the Prince's battling with Carabosse's minions and his manege up to the castle - the buildup with the music makes it so exciting.

Upset to see Johan injured. The smile was just wiped off his face with that awkward landing. I loved Bonelli - seems I'll be seeing him 3 times in total now with performances with Tamara Rojo and Roberta Marquez too. I did wonder how they managed to find him so quick though! Had wondered if Ivan Putrov (Bluebird) would step in instead! He makes a fab Bluebird to watch - so perfectly arrogant! Disagree with the Evening Standard critic about Lauren Cuthbertson - I think she has great presence on stage and not just because her lilac dress was so fabulous! In particular her mime scenes seem to have so much more authority than I remembered. Zenaida Yanowsky's Carabosse stands out for me the most.