This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Bouder as Aurora

On Ashley's second Aurora, I'm with Amanda: Wow! From debutante on Tuesday night to full-fledged Ballerina on Thursday. And it's not just balletomanes who are thrilled with her. You could hear the applause start to build even before she reached the fourth cavalier in the Rose Adagio. Her strength, authority and balance were so pronounced that the audience just started to clap before it was over, and clap they they did.

Alexandra, could you please check with the NYCB press office on which is the right way to pronounce her name. Is the "ou" in Bouder pronounced as in "powder" or as the "u" in "tutor"? Since we will be talking about her for many years, I'd like to pronounce the name the way she prefers.

By the way, Adam Hendrickson as Bluebird was terrific, and as mentioned by another poster, Carla Korbes makes a wonderfully aristocratic Countess; her shrug as she exits speaks volumes. And I do think I like Merrill Ashley's Carabosse the best: she really conveys anger/outrage (evil) as opposed to just hurt/annoyance, and Sleeping Beauty as a ballet is all about good triumphing over evil. The contrast with the benevolent Lilac Fairy should be very real.

Nailed-Nailed-Nailed that performance from Start to Finish. Even woke Damien up too, Damn-It, for a while at least. The look of confidence/triumph/even a little happy arrogance she flashed into the front of the orchestra during that balance at the end of the Rose Adagio, at the precise spot she had the trouble Tuesday, as the applause started to rain down from the Rings, was priceless. From promise to realization in 48 hours. We focus too much on debuts, Second Nights are usually better for everyone, I think Nichols even said this in her Ballet Review interview last Summer.

As someone whose name is frequently mucked up, I can say that, depending on the circumstance, at a certain point correcting becomes more tiresome :yawn: than the error is annoying :angry: . You just learn to respond to a variety of pronunciations and permutations. :wink:

Forgive my twisted syntax.

All the dancers whom I have met refer to her as Bouder, as in "powder". If she used to be Bo (as in Bo Derek)-der she may have realized that the "powder" sound is far more elegant. I did see her name once spelt as "Boulder", like the Colorado town. A mistake, obviously.

Anna Kisselgoff has written about the Bouder and Ansanelli Auroras, both of whom she rightfully praises. She does mention that Bouder went off pointe...twice...in the Rose Adagio. I only saw once.

Some people feel Kisselgoff writes press releases for NYCB rather than reviews.

How do other people in this forum view what the "professional critics" say? Do their reviews have weight? Would you go to see a piece/dancer that had been glowingly reviewed, and likewise would you skip something that got panned?

While eagerly awaiting word on the officially-sanctioned pronunciation of Bouder (hoping my hearing aid and I will be vindicated), I just want to say how much I agree with Carbro. I long ago stopped correcting people who mispronounce my last name, D'Angelo. The apostrophe is there instead of an i or an e, and has no sound of its own. Nevertheless, the great majority of Americans say "DeeAngelo." Often when I used to pronounce my name "Dangelo," I would be asked to spell it. When I did, the reply usually was, "Oh, you mean DeeAngelo."

I know where your coming from Farrell Fan, my last name Shaikh has been pronounced "Chic", "Shakhi", "Shiekk", and so many other variations I've lost count. My favorite one I heard at the drugstore awaiting an Rx being filled was "Mrs. Smackem"! Thanks to Bobbi for asking the correct pronounciation of Miss Bouder's name :)

FF and Carbro, I not only agree with you, I've had a version of your problem -- which is, well, people can pronounce it, but nobody can spell it -- The bank doesn't care, i don't care.... well, a little, it would be weird not to notice, but I don't really care.

FF, your story is priceless.... rates a double d'oh....

Back to her performance in this post!

My boyfriend, whose 2nd time at NYCB it was (first being a few weeks ago with Barocco, Flower Festival, Prodigal, and Slaughter), offered his own observation which I found so interesting and beautiful. He's an actor, so he approaches watching a performance from a different angle. At both performances he has attended I have learned so much from him!

At intermission Thursday night, he said that during her vision scene, Bouder's dancing was like witnessing the act of creation at every moment. She transcended the choreography.

On a personal note, I think I'll keep this boy. :)

-amanda