This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

To finish the book or not?

Reviving this thread and pulling it back on topic:

I recently picked up Gabriel Garcia Marquez' One Hundred Years of Solitude, because I understood that it was a widely loved modern classic. I haven't quite made it to page 80, and I am finding it impossible to keep the characters straight. So I am here seeking advice. Should I plow through and find it gets easier? Should I start again and make a scorecard/cheat sheet? Am I alone in having this problem? Is it not worth the effort?

Thanks!

I agree with the T-shirt that reads, "So Many Books, So Little Time." If it's tough going, and not required reading, I would suggest putting it aside, and picking it up in another 5-10 years. There's plenty to read in the meantime.

Back of the book, GWTW? Haven't gotten that far! :) Actually, there is a family tree in the front, but it's not terribly helpful.

Thanks for the advice, HF! Like BW's friend at the head of this thread, I really hate putting books aside once I've started, but like you, others have indicated that sometimes it's the best way.

carbro,

I too struggled with this book at first, but I read it all the way through and liked it. I would not say it is one of the best books I've read, but I did enjoy it. Keeping the characters straight gets easier as you go through. I will say I probably would have put it down, but I was on doctor's ordered bed rest for 8 weeks (in and out of the hospital, mostly in) and I had read all of my other reading material at hand. I only continued because I HAVE to read. In the end I am glad I finished the book, but I don't think I will read any more books by Marquez.