This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

lost Emeralds choreography

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 02:16 PM

Speaking of "fixing" ballets . . . after reading Verdy's comments about Emeralds in the Costas book, where she speaks of "beautiful, intricate work in it, that has disappeared" because Balanchine was angered by Irving's fast tempos and took it out, I've been meaning to ask if anyone could describe this choreography. And I know she helped stage this ballet for Miami City Ballet. She says she still remembers the lost choreography. Does anyone know, did she really not teach it down there?

#2 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 02:18 PM

I can't answer, but wanted to say -- good question. Also interesting is the point about Balanchine's being angered by the fast tempi. That doesn't square with the current version of the Myth.

#3 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 05:46 PM

It may not fit with the Myth, but it sure squares with onset symptoms of classic CJD. Inexplicable fits of anger up to ten years before definitive encephalopathy symptoms show up is accepted as part of that disease's symptomology.

#4 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 07:04 PM

kfw - The choreography that I describe Verdy and Ludlow teaching to Carla Lorbes and James Fayette in the current print edition of Dance View is from an earlier version of Emeralds. Their source of the choreography is a 1971 videotape taken in performance. What they taught was the opening pas de deux, which is different, but the differences didn't seem to be driven by speed or tempos. It may not be the part Verdy is referring to in her quotes. There's no question she could get the older version back; I don't think she was relying on the video, but she did need it to check against her memory. The videotape is silent, and she and Ludlow were having a hard time putting it on the music with precision - but to use her words from that session, she would be able to "resurrect" it.

#5 leibling

leibling

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 08:45 PM

Violette did restore choreography to the opening pas of Emeralds here at Miami City Ballet, and we still perform it as she set it. She also made some slight alterations to her bracelet variation- just a couple of spacing things, though.

#6 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 07:36 AM

Thanks, everyone. I look forward to seeing NYCB's Emeralds in D.C. in a couple of weeks.

#7 glebb

glebb

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 07:21 AM

Had to watch this solo (Paris Opera DVD) today.
Why do I love it so much?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):