This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

a biography of Balanchine?

silvy

There's no equivalent among Balanchine books to Julie Kavanagh's "Secret Muses" biography of Ashton. Richard Buckle's book has something of what you're looking for, and Moira Shearer's "Balletmaster" although not impressive as a whole, has some shrewd observations. Arlene Croce's long-awaited book is due shortly, but I don't know where her emphasis will lie -- others might know more. Otherwise, I'd check out the books by ex-wives: Tamara Geva, Alexandra Danilova (a sort of wife:)), Zorina, and Tallchief have all weighed in. All of them are discreet, but there is some interesting reading to be done in the (vast) spaces between the lines. Francis Mason's collection of interviews, "I Remember Balanchine" is an excellent source regarding issues both aesthetic and personal.

Guest Alice172

I used this book: "Balanchine" by Bernard Taper for an extensive multi-genre project on Balanchine for an English project last year. I really enjoyed it and yes, it does talk about his work, but that sort of is his life yea? It also does have a lot of personal information as well. I recommend it!

Edited by Alexandra