This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I live fairly close to their studio and so have had the good fortune of getting to see many performances over the years. Also, Pilobolus is wonderful about working with kids; they've been to our school for workshops off and on for many years. (Some of their kids once attended this school). So I would've loved to have seen that segment on TV. I have great admiration for the founders of this group.

Sorry vagansmom - I must have missed the activity on this thread after carbo's comments.

Basically, they gave the history of the company (though I do not think they ever mentioned Moses Pendleton) and showed clips and stills of the men at Dartmouth. The founders were interviewed as to why they got into dance (was it partly girls? the need for a credits?) and then there was a bit of an overview of more current works. At one point they did have Leslie Stahl in their studio and actually gave her a bit of a "ride" as an example of a dance movement - if my lapsing memory is serving me well! :clapping:

I wish the piece could have been longer, but it was a nice change to have it at all.

I must add that although they do work with kids, and do a great job, Pilobolus II did a workshop several years ago here that culminated in a performance that included works with the kids, and solo/duet pieces. There was one piece that was so grossly inappropriate that even yours truly was shocked (think Janet Jackson, but go a little further south in the anatomy), and parents actually got up and voiced their disapproval aloud during the performance. It was a VERY BAD judgment call is all I can say.

At one point they did have Leslie Stahl in their studio and actually gave her a bit of a "ride" as an example of a dance movement - if my lapsing memory is serving me well! 

Your memory serves you very well BW! It was a very light segment, no meat and potatoes, but pleasant enough. Yes, no mention of Pendleton. They showed small pieces with very few dancers. Mostly pas de deuxs. :blushing:

Edited by vrsfanatic

Vrsfanatic, she joined MOMIX. As you probably know, Moses Pendleton, who founded and directs MOMIX, was a founding member of Pilobolus. Both are headquartered in the same little town so it's easy to get confused. Also sometimes a dancer has moved from one to the other company which further confuses things.

FunnyFace, I've never seen Pilobolus II but I would've been upset had I seen what you described. The main company often does workshops and performances for kids in this area and they are uniformly very age level appropriate as well as loads and loads of fun. They are very popular among the youth in this area and, as a company, have been very generous to the local school community.