This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Wall to Wall Balanchine11 am to 11 pm March 20, Symphony Space

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#16 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 01:32 PM

I spoke to a representitive of Symphony Space, who said that there hasn't been a problem with seating. Some wall-to-walls have larger attendance than some others, but getting in is not a problem (although she said that might change if a program is very popular, it just hasn't happened yet). However, once the event starts, there is less certainty because people leave, people come in so it's hard to judge. And there is no holding seats for a friend who has gone to the bathroom for 4 hours.

#17 Mark D

Mark D

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 04:08 PM

We may all be in a panic that is not necessary. I hope anyway. I was frustrated that the Guggenheim events were sold out before I even knew they were occurring. However, there were series of lectures at the Donnell Library which were free and barely filled the relatively small Bruno Walter Auditorium. They were reputable speakers-- Garafola on Balanchine in Paris, Nancy Reynolds on Balanchine in the 40s and Joseph on Stravinsky and Balanchine. Maybe 200 seats. When NYCB ballet has one of their seminars it may fill the orchestra and possible some of the first ring. I guess that may be less than a 1,000 seats. Those are the best crowd estimates I can come up with.

Boy, the last time I was in that theater I was a student and saw The Wild Bunch. Go figure.

#18 MJ

MJ

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 07:21 PM

Amy I'm going to try to make it too. I only want to see the live performances, do I need to get there several hours before 8pm?

MJ

#19 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 09:35 PM

MJ,

I imagine if you call Symphony Space by 1pm or 2pm, they should have a good sense of how early you would need to be there to get in by 8pm...

I'd like to do the whole thing (if I can work out childcare conundrums) ... I hope Suki's wearing a mic for the master class... ditto Maria Tallchief coaching Maria Kosrowski in Firebird!! Watching Tallchief draw herself up to demonstrate what she wants makes me wish I had seen her in her prime... It's almost an exposition on stage presence alone... what makes a dancer magnetic when they can no longer draw on technical tricks (e.g. high extension)... [it always amazes me how sometimes young dancers can be boring inspite of incredible technical feats]

#20 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 12:00 PM

I've split off comments on the actual event onto its own thread here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):