This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Jewels 2/12

Hal

What a lovely evening in spite of Emeralds. I never liked Emeralds. Still don't. I find the music and dancing a bore. I know I am in the minority on this, but I never felt that Emeralds lives up to Rubies and Diamonds. Rutherford and van Kipnis provided good workmanlike performances, but it never took off. It seemed a bit flat to me. Tewsley and Fayette were fine, but it is not a male showcase. And the set was cheap looking - hated it.

Then came Rubies, possibly one of my favorites. Weese was just fantastic. She was everything the role required, funny and charming and angular. She was just wonderful. Her dancing was just perfect to my very untrained eyes. She really undersood the role. Hubbe was a wonderful partner for her. The suprise to me was Savannah Lowery. I had never noticed her before and she did a bang up job in the second lead. She was impressive and I look forward to seeing more of her in the coming years. Seems to me that there is a lot talent in the company these days. Oh and the sets were just magnificent.

Then came Diamonds. The first thing I noticed was the thoroughly cheesy set. What were they thinking? It was so offputting that I worried about the dancing to come. But then came Kowroski. She is just a wonder. Her legs are national treasures. She so reminded me of Farrell that it was scarry. Even her upper body has developed beautifully. She recieved tons of bravos and cheers, and not just from me. And Philip Neal was a perfect partner. He danced beautifully as well. Even the corps looked great, but it was hard to notice as I just could never take my eyes off of Maria. She is really very special. Oh, to think what Balanchine would have done with those long legs..... I can't believe he is not sitting in heaven thinking up "combinations" for her.

Following up, I also enjoyed Weese in the role last night very much (her wit suits the role) as well as a promising debut by Savannah Lowery. She's musical and not afraid to be sexy without being vulgar. This made something really happen in the supported adagio with the men that was just on the edge of your consciousness. It's still four cavaliers, but WHAT are they doing to her? Again, it wasn't vulgar, but she wasn't a "good girl". She was big, daring and sensual and it was quite interesting. I also like the sets the best of the three ballets.

I'm one who likes Emeralds. I enjoyed van Kipnis very much, and it's good to see Tewsley back. I'm very fond of the pas de trois for the little princes and princesses. Carmena's talented, I wish he wouldn't attack the movement so hard.

Diamonds was a comedown for me. Kowroski has got the lushness for the role, but she was having problems with some steps, especially a manège of en dedans pirouettes. I've also never been crazy about the ballet; to me, there are other ballets in the repertory (Symphony in C, Theme and Variations) that cover the same ground, only better.