This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Would a RAVE review make you see a ballet?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

Poll: Would a rave review make you more likely to see a particular performance? (27 member(s) have cast votes)

Would a rave review make you more likely to see a particular performance?

1. Yes, always. (3 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

2. Possibly, depending on the review. (16 votes [59.26%])

Percentage of vote: 59.26%

3. Not usually. (3 votes [11.11%])

4. No, never. (3 votes [11.11%])

5. I never read reviews. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Other. (2 votes [7.41%])

Percentage of vote: 7.41%

Vote

#1 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,263 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 12:06 PM

Another poll suggested by samsara's comment; it's the reverse of the BAD reviews question. Would a rave review make you go see a performance, dancer or ballet? Vote and/or comment. Interpeter "review" as a newspaper report, or an internet post (since the original comment was aimed at posts).

#2 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 01:25 PM

I said "Possibly," but for me, it would depend on the critic. If Alexandra raved about a ballet, I'd probably buy tickets right then and there, but if, say, Clive Barnes raved about something, I'd be more cautious.

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,555 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 01:30 PM

Depends on the reviewer, very much so. Also whether the review appears in a weekly, daily, or monthly.

#4 Old Fashioned

Old Fashioned

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 01:56 PM

Well, since I only know of one critic who writes regularly for the dance scene in Houston, and I don't happen to like her very much, reviews don't affect my decision to see a performance at all.

#5 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,263 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 02:09 PM

Depends on the reviewer, very much so.  Also whether the review appears in a weekly, daily, or monthly.

Dirac, why does it matter to you whether the review is in a daily, a weekly, or a monthly?

Thanks, Hans. :wacko: I can't resist saying that the notion that there might be one or two likeminded souls reading you is a very good reason to praise only that which you really think is good!

#6 Farrell Fan

Farrell Fan

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 02:30 PM

If I don't already have tickets for something that gets a rave review, chances are the review will make it more difficult to get them. So I'd be inclined to wait and see it the following season.

#7 Paquita

Paquita

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 04:11 PM

I agree that it depends on the critic. If it's one whom I've read and usually agree with, I would probably go see the ballet. If it was a critic that I'm not familiar with, my interest and curiosity would deffinately be piqued... If it was a critic that I don't really like, it would have the opposite effect.

#8 Estelle

Estelle

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 04:43 PM

For me, it would depend a lot on the critic. For example, a positive critic by Dominique Frétard generally has a strong deterrent effect on me (by the way, that's even worse with some cinema critics- usually what they love in movies is exactly what I hate).

#9 BW

BW

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 05:15 PM

I cast my chad for the "possibly" candidate...and for all the reasons with the caveats others have posted.

I'm with you on Alexandra, Hans. It does make a huge difference who the critic is and how they write. :)

P.S. I like your reasoning Alexandra about writing about what you really do like. :FIREdevil:

#10 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 06:43 PM

For the same reason I gave for wanting to see a ballet that got panned, I'm now very cautious about ballets that get raves. One provided me with much amusement at the very horror of it, and all the NY critics had raved about it. Turned out much later, that the critics had all colluded and resolved not to give this big fat turkey buzzard the bombing it deserved, because it would have killed the company, who busted the bank in producing it.

#11 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 09:03 PM

As with so many others, I consider the source. The chief dance critic in one of my major metropolitan dailies is reliable as a reinforcer of her own biases. :FIREdevil: Then, there are those who seem to write their reviews that reinforce my biases. I might listen to them. :yes:

Most reliable of all is my personal cadre of spies B) who sometimes see a new production before I do. :gossip:

#12 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 09:39 PM

I sort of agree with everybody else -- though I HATE going with high hopes......I like to go as casually as possible, with no expectations..
but still -- something that really will snag me is if what the reporter says is interesting -- whether or not I think I'll agree withthem, if it gets the writer actually interested -- you can tell from the tone-- in something that seems to come from the dancing itself, that will intrigue me and make me want to go.....

I wish I'd seen Double Feature, for example, from hte things people said about tom Gold and Kyra Nichols and so on, the kind of opportunities it gave for dancers to get their teeth into something they don't normally get to do just made me want to see it for myself -- I hated Contact (thought it was nasty) but loved Oklahoma and just wanted to go and see if I'd have felt the same way....

#13 Nanatchka

Nanatchka

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 09:44 PM

For the same reason I gave for wanting to see a ballet that got panned, I'm now very cautious about ballets that get raves.  One provided me with much amusement at the very horror of it, and all the NY critics had raved about it.  Turned out much later, that the critics had all colluded and resolved not to give this big fat turkey buzzard the bombing it deserved, because it would have killed the company, who busted the bank in producing it.

What did they do, hire a cat herder to get them into the same room, a caterer to feed them so they'd stay there, someone with a whip to get them all to stop bickering, and someone with a gun to get them to agree to agree? I'm really sorry I missed that....

#14 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 08:18 PM

What did they do, hire a cat herder to get them into the same room, a caterer to feed them so they'd stay there,  someone with a whip to get them all to stop bickering, and someone with a gun to get them to agree to agree? I'm really sorry I missed that....

Very close! If Mel is talking about what I think he is, said critics, like a colony of rats, followed the tune of the piper. :(

#15 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,263 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 08:20 PM

And on what would that supposition be based, says a critic, who has never been a member of a "rat colony".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):