Would a BAD REVIEW drive you away?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

Poll: Would a bad review cause you to not see a company or new ballet? (34 member(s) have cast votes)

Would a bad review cause you to not see a company or new ballet?

1. Yes, always. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Possibly, depending on the review. (13 votes [38.24%])

Percentage of vote: 38.24%

3. Not usually. (14 votes [41.18%])

Percentage of vote: 41.18%

4. No, never. (6 votes [17.65%])

Percentage of vote: 17.65%

5. I never read reviews. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Other. (1 votes [2.94%])

Percentage of vote: 2.94%

Vote

#16 Marc Haegeman

Marc Haegeman

Platinum Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 10:47 AM

Thank you, Alexandra, we're not particular. :grinning: Frankly, I don't think this is a good example. Which ballet-lover in his right state of mind would ever go to see this crap? C'mon you know what you're getting. Rave or bad review, you just don't bother - It's a different planet, period.

#17 Viviane

Viviane

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 08:28 AM

Just discovered this one :(
Alexandra, don't worry ! Thanks to Rosas, Les Ballets C.de la B., Ultima Vez and unfortunately so many others !... Belgian balletomanes has developed an extra sense to avoid these 'events'.

To answer the question : a good or a bad review never stops me from going to see a performance.

#18 Ed Waffle

Ed Waffle

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 09:29 AM

A few notes:

I enjoy reading Ismene Brown, although often more for her style than content. The Telegraph gives her and other critics enough space to actually review a performance.

And I learned a new word! "Eurocrash" which has not yet penetrated to the frozen wilderness of the upper midwest.

Since ballet is generally absent from the culture calendar in Motown, it would take a very bad review to, in itself, keep my away from a performance. Additionally, companies like Ultima Vez would not make it to Detroit, where the Les Ballet de Monte Carlo is considered edgy.

#19 Clara 76

Clara 76

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 01:48 PM

Our city unfortunately is a one newspaper city with only one ballet critic who has little to none ballet background-her background is in opera and classical music. Occaisionally, she will get something right, and of course, she is entitled to her opinions, but most of the time, her lack of ballet training is painfully obvious. :) Be that as it may, I would still go to see a ballet despite a rave or pan review- I prefer to make up my own mind. :yes:
Clara

#20 chauffeur

chauffeur

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 02:00 PM

While I will absolutely agree with you, clara 76, that my employer's dance critic has a distressing lack of training in and knowledge of ballet, I think the record shows that she has been exceptionally kind to your employer's company! :) Although that does seem to be changing this season. :(

#21 Clara 76

Clara 76

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 02:05 PM

That is so true Chauffer, she has been kind to us, and I was referring more to her reviews of other companies' ballets that she has sometimes missed on, imo. I have no complaints at all with how she handles our company and as I said before, she is certainly entitled to her own opinion. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to clarify that for you! :)
Clara

#22 Viviane

Viviane

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 02:07 AM

Ed, isn't the new word "Eurotrash" ? A word Clement Crisp also uses to indicate the contemporary works that come from Europe's 'mainland' :clapping:

#23 Estelle

Estelle

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 03:41 AM

Viviane, the review said "Eurocrash", I think it was a pun on "Eurotrash" and the fact that the performings were bumping into each other on stage...

#24 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 08:57 AM

C'mon you know what you're getting. Rave or bad review, you just don't bother - It's a different planet, period.

Actually No: that's the point I'm trying to make. Sadlers Wells sends me advance publicity about all forthcoming events and the brochure about "Blush" made no mention of frogs in blenders, chainsaws etc. True, there was reference to some erotic content and there was a picture of an apparently naked couple photographed from the waist up in a rather chaste embrace. All appearing far removed from the horrors detailed in Ismene Brown's review.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):