Would a BAD REVIEW drive you away?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

Poll: Would a bad review cause you to not see a company or new ballet? (34 member(s) have cast votes)

Would a bad review cause you to not see a company or new ballet?

1. Yes, always. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Possibly, depending on the review. (13 votes [38.24%])

Percentage of vote: 38.24%

3. Not usually. (14 votes [41.18%])

Percentage of vote: 41.18%

4. No, never. (6 votes [17.65%])

Percentage of vote: 17.65%

5. I never read reviews. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Other. (1 votes [2.94%])

Percentage of vote: 2.94%

Vote

#1 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 12:03 PM

This question was suggested by something samsara posted on another thread, about negative comments having the possible effect of influencing people to not attend a performance. I wondered what people thought, and since often we'll get people to vote who won't post :wacko: I thought I'd make it a poll. Interpeter "review" as a newspaper report, or an internet post (since the original comment was aimed at posts).

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,099 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 01:25 PM

One bad review alone probably wouldn't. As with the other poll regarding raves, for me it depends very much on who is doing the reviewing. If the reviews are uniformly bad, however, then that usually does indicate a dyed-in-the-wool turkey.

#3 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 02:06 PM

There are some turkeys, though, that are fun to watch!

#4 Farrell Fan

Farrell Fan

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 02:25 PM

Almost all my ballet tickets -- to NYCB, ABT, and Suzanne Farrell Ballet, are bought well in advance of any reviews, so bad ones have no effect. If a visiting troupe gets bad reviews chances are I wouldn't have gone anyway.

#5 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 03:12 PM

"Other." In terms of companies, if it's the Kirov (or ABT depending on the casting, &c), I'd probably go see it anyway. In terms of a new ballet, again, it depends on the reviewer.

#6 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 06:34 PM

I said "Other" in that often a bad review will make me want to see what's wrong with the thing. Sometimes, I've been surprised. Sometimes there's NOTHING wrong with it!

#7 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 09:08 PM

"Depends," because if I can decipher the critic's experience through the prism of his or her known biases, I can predict my own response to a degree.

#8 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 09:43 PM

I agree with you all, especially Mel....

#9 BW

BW

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 06:11 AM

Although I wish I could have chosen the more independent "other" - I chose "possibly" because as much as I hate to admit it :FIREdevil:, I have decided against going to a certain performance due to more than one "bad" review. For example, the reviews I read about Eifman's ballet at City Center last winter - I forget the name now - but after reading the reviews I just couldn't bring myself to spend the time or the money. :) But who knows - maybe I would have enjoyed it... :rolleyes:

#10 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 06:14 AM

Now, the bad reviews of Eifman put him on my Must See list!

#11 chauffeur

chauffeur

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 06:16 AM

Over time, as I get to know a dance (or music, film or art) critic's opinions, I find that I can use his or her opinions to develop a pretty accurate gauge of whether or not I'll like the work -- and sometimes that's because I find I consistently disagree with the critic! Where I live right now, I've found that I can reliably "use" the local dance critic because our opinions tend to be polar opposites, so if she hates it, I know I'll probably enjoy it (eg - she totally didn't get the Baryshnikov solo show, I totally did; she thinks the big local dance company's corps is on a par with a touring Russian company's that came through town once, and, um, it isn't, IMO). The only time she's "failed" me was when she agreed that the local company's attempt at Balanchine choreography was not as successful as the visiting company with whom it shared the stage. But that's OK -- I know I'll still disagree with her most of the time! :FIREdevil:

#12 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 02:51 AM

Here is an example of a VERY bad review:

http://www.telegraph...xstageleft.html

Although it was written by a critic whose opinions I seldom share, I decided to give this one a miss.

Comments?

#13 Estelle

Estelle

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 03:47 AM

Eeeeek! :green: :wink:

Mashinka, I agree that, regardless of the critic, such a review would definitely drive a lot of people away!

#14 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 09:41 AM

EEEk!! is right. But it's really only the end that's a harsh review -- the rest is description. If a "dance company" is going to put a frog in a blender and have someone drink it, well......

Marc, Viviane, this is one of "your" companies: Ultima Vez.

#15 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 10:33 AM

That review would drive me to China.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):