This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Agnes de Mille's "Dance to the Piper"

silvy

I am reading the above book (vacation time here!!) :wink: and I must say that I was favourably impressed. One of the things I liked most was her deep insight on the private lives of dancers, her reflexing on the psychological aspect. I imagine that back when the book was written this might have created quite a stir - but I need someone to assert this. I mean, some of her assertions must have sound quite a bit too "revolutionary" at that time.

Other aspect I found most interesting is that she was in close contact with some of the people who would make history in the history of dance, such as Danilova, Frederick Franklin, Richard Pleasant and Lucia Chase, Leonide Massine, Marie Rambert, Ashton, Tudor, Martha Graham, Dunham (of the Ballet Russes)

I would be interested to know the comments of some of you who have read this book, in order to exchange opinions

Silvy

silvy, it has been years since I read this book! I remember loving it though. I will have to get it out again before I can give you a thorough, adult opinion. For now it could only be the impressions of a young girl filled with dreams of the dance in her future.

I did not know even who Agnes De Mille was when I read the book much less any of the others you have mentioned. All I knew was that it was about the ballet. Up until that point the theatre to me was going to be like a Fred and Ginger movie! :wink: Actually I cannot really say when it was that I stopped looking for that in life! :wink:

I will get back to you!

Querido Sylvi, or querida?

Yes, I have read the book. yet somehow, reading those books again make me sad.

I have met a lot of those people, they are dead now. There is one consolation, though, when I met them, they were famous, OK; but they still struggled and tried by the skin of their teeth to get jobs just about anywhere. I remember specially Massine, who, in 1957 or something came to Gothenburg Sweden (of all godforsaken places) to a ballet company that could hardly stand on its feet, and he mounted some of his works. And he was a great choreographer and ballet master.

What it amounts to, is that we all have to struggle, and if we have a glorious moment here and there, we must be grateful, but never take success for granted.

Who knows, in times to come, we will also be remembered and discussed on boards like this!

Silvy, I have this book, among others, of De Mille's, and I consulted her work quite a bit with regard to completing my studies. My opinion has been that she is, arguably, the most prolific writer of any dancer I've ever heard of. Also, it's very notable that she came from 'theatrical stock,' with both her father and uncle (the great Cecil B.) in the business, and yet, as an aspiring dancer/choreographer, that didn't do her much good. She had to make her own way. She lived very frugally, despite the many famous people she had met since her childhood, and worked very hard towards creating the first truly American ballet, "Rodeo." You may also enjoy reading "Where the Wings Grow," penned by her in 1978, some 17 years following "Dance to the Piper." I also have a very dear copy of "To A Young Dancer." I've amassed my dance library largely through books sales and used books stores, but you may be able to find these in a library.

I've read this several times, and have assigned the chapter on the making of "Rodeo" in dance history classes. I like her chatty style in it, and it gives contemporary students a very personal vision of life in the Ballet Russe companies of that period. I don't always agree with her aesthetic choices, but always admire her guts.