This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2004-2005 Season

Next seasons repertoire is up on the website now!

HARBOURFRONT CENTRE – Altamira Ballet By The Water

Musings / there, below / Theme and Variations August 24th - 26th, 2004

FALL 2004 – HUMMINGBIRD CENTRE

The Four Temperaments /

Stravinsky Violin Concerto / Désir November 17th - 21st, 2004

The Contract November 24th - 28th, 30th, 2004

THE NUTCRACKER – HUMMINGBIRD CENTRE December 11th - 29th, 2004

WINTER 2005 – HUMMINGBIRD CENTRE

Madame Butterfly February 19th - 20th, 22nd - 27th, 2005

Les Sylphides / Opus 19, The Dreamer /

La Ronde March 2nd - 6th, 2005

SPRING 2005 – HUMMINGBIRD CENTRE

An Italian Straw Hat May 1st, 11th - 15th, 2005

Musings / Spring Awakening / Études May 4th - 8th, 2005

I'm looking forward to seeing Stravinsky Violin Concerto and Opus 19, the Dreamer. It's too bad the only full-length ballets are both Kudelka's. This season is kind of weak on the classical side. Madame Butterfly is not a full-length ballet. Last time they presented it with Serenade. I'm assuming they will add another short ballet to that program.

They've changed the season line up and here are also some touring dates:

Alas, the casualties are Theme and Variations at Ballet on the Water and The Four Temperaments. So much for the Balanchine Centennial :wink: . Giselle is going in the place of Four T's and Desir in November. Desir has been moved to pair with Mme. Butterfly. Cinderella has been added in April and instead of trekking to Toronto we New Yorkers can trek out to BAM to see The Contract in May.

I'll go if Lamy is doing her part.

Any guesses as to who the Giselles are? I say Hodgkinson, Goh and Yu.

THE NATIONAL BALLET OF CANADA'S

2004 / 2005 SEASON

ALTAMIRA BALLET BY THE WATER - Harbourfront Centre - CIBC Stage

Musings / there, below /

Dances from The Sleeping Beauty August 24 - 26, 2004

BERKELEY, CALIFORNIA - Cal Performances at the University of California

Apollo/ there, below /The Four Seasons September 30 - October 3, 2004

DETROIT, MICHIGAN - The Detroit Opera House

The Firebird / The Four Seasons October 7 - 10, 2004

FALL 2004 - Hummingbird Centre

*Stravinsky Violin Concerto / Giselle November 17 - 21, 2004

The Contract (The Pied Piper) November 24 - 28, 2004

THE NUTCRACKER - Hummingbird Centre December 11 - 29, 2004

WINTER 2005 - Hummingbird Centre

Désir/ Madame Butterfly February 23 - 27, 2005

Les Sylphides / *Opus 19, The Dreamer / La Ronde March 2 - 6, 2005

OTTAWA -The National Arts Centre

Cinderella March 17 - 19, 2005

NEW YORK CITY -Brooklyn Academy of Music

The Contract (The Pied Piper) April 5, 7 - 9, 2005

CINDERELLA - Hummingbird Centre April 23 - 24, 2005

SPRING 2005 - Hummingbird Centre

**An Italian Straw Hat May 1, 11 - 15, 2005

Musings / The Four Temperaments / ***Etudes May 4 - 8, 2005

*Company Premiere ** World Premiere ***Revival

Subject to Change.

I'm actually glad to hear they are no longer doing T&V at Ballet by the Water. They did it a few years ago and it was horribly cramped on that tiny stage, especially in the finale! I was very dissapointed to hear that Four Temperaments has been scrapped though... Oh well, maybe next season...

It's odd to see a full length classic like Giselle paired with a short ballet, but I'm not complaining! More bang for your ballet buck! I agree with Leigh's speculations about Giselles, except minus Xiao Nan Yu- I think by then she will be on her maternity leave. I saw her last week in Cruel World and her pregnancy is already quite visible. I saw Chan Hon Goh the last time they did Giselle (I think 2000), she was flawless. I'm guessing that Sonia Rodriguez will be given the role.

Nice to see Madame Butterfly paired with something. It's really too short of a ballet to stand alone.

Adding the performances of Cinderella is a smart move. I think they will sell a lot of tickets. The premiere created quite a buzz, but the run was very short and lots of people missed it. Next year those people will have to chance to see it, and I'm sure lots of people (myself included) will see it again.

Interesting to see The Contract has become "The Contract (The Pied Piper)". Maybe so when they go on tour, audiences will know right away the story that it was based on I guess...

Rodriguez made her Giselle debut the last time the ballet was scheduled (about 4 years ago?) and made a very good impression so I'm certain she will be cast this time - probably with Cote as they seem to be teamed quite often these days. Cote is doing double duty....establishing a partnership with Ogden and Rodriguez both! We need some more Principal male dancers....I suspect there will be an import or two next season to fill in the gap.

Welcome, Noreen and thanks for your comment! The balance among principals is odd, isn't it? There are some companies that have almost too many male princpals and need ballerinas, and vice versa.

What have you particularly enjoyed (or not!) this season?