This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Where is Monique Meunier?

The best female dancer in ABT seems to have gone amissing from ABT's MET season casting. Watching Meunier dance is so inspiring and awe-bringing. Escpecially with so many technically hard ballets this season, with their Balanchine rep... Why would they cast the 30 years-past-her-prime Ananiashvili to "knuckle" across the stage in ABT's dreadful version of Tschaikovsky Piano Concerto 2 above Monique. She left NYCB to dance more, but it seems that she isn't doing a principal part once. Any insight?

Uncrossed Fifth, I don't want to start a discussion but I find your comments on both Ananiashvili and Zelensky insulting. What is worse is that they are untrue and unfounded. Ananiashvilli is 40, she is not past her prime, is dancing like a dream, and has a technique that many other ballerinas, much younger than her, can only hope to have. Perhaps you have not heard of such dancers as Fonteyn, Haydee, Alonso, Ulanova, Plisetskaya who danced well into their fifties, and still showed such masterful and artistic portrayals, that they have never been equaled? Have you not thought that perhaps there is a need, no a dearth, of such elder ballerinas and danseurs in the dance world to set examples and to guide younger ones?

Leigh, I asked an ABT representative tonight, and was told that we could expect to see more of Meunier and Veronika Part in the spring season. Apparently there have been off and on injuries, unspecified.

Looking ahead to this weekend's Bayaderes, Meunier is listed as a Shade Saturday afternoon, and a D'Jampe Dancer Saturday night.

As for Part -- I know this is a Meunier thread, but many of our Meunier are also Part fans -- was one of the soloists in the Raymonda Grand Pas Classique. She will also dance a Shade Saturday afternoon, and Sunday afternoon.